What Are National and International Fellowships?
The Fellowships Office at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln helps undergraduate students and alumni compete annually for a number of high-profile, nationally competitive scholarships.
- Some provide funding to support you to attend graduate school
- Others allow you to study or to conduct research overseas to gain practical experience in your field after graduation.
- A few are available for undergraduate study.
These external awards provide funding and life-changing opportunities across a range of disciplines and interests. For the ambitious student, applying for these national fellowships, in which you compete with the best and brightest in the United States, is a perfect culmination of your time at the University.
Students who engage in the process of applying for a fellowship typically gain:
- a stronger sense of their professional interests, strengths and talents, career goals, and graduate school options.
- more confidence in the interview process.
- experience in presenting and defending ideas both in writing and before review panels.
- stronger guidance and relationships with faculty mentors.
- involvement in research and creative activities.