Internship Payroll Management Services

Career Services offers employers (primarily government employers) a payroll management service. This includes verifying student status, setting up payroll, and issuing bi-weekly paychecks to the student. UNL bills each agency quarterly for total intern earnings plus a ten percent processing fee.

Getting Started

Before interns can be paid through this service, the following must be completed:

  • Annual Agency-UNL "Umbrella" Contract
  • Internship Memorandum of Understanding
  • Payroll Documents
  • Intern's Weekly Time Sheet
Annual Contract

Employers will first establish an "umbrella" contract which authorizes Career Services to provide intern payroll services and sets forth general responsibilities and terms of the agreement between UNL and the agency.

Student Status and Witholding

Students must be enrolled for at least one credit hour at UNL throughout the internship to be paid through student payroll. When a student has been selected for the internship, the student should call (402) 472-3145 to schedule an appointment with a career advisor for a brief orientation and to obtain the payroll internship packet.

Staff will verify the student's enrollment at UNL. Social Security regulations waive taxing both student and employer as long as the student is enrolled full-time. UNL interns who graduate and are not continuing in a UNL graduate program lose their student status and are ineligible for internship payroll. Also, UNL graduate students may be ineligible for internship payroll if they are employed in a Graduate Assistantship at UNL. Check if your intern or a student you want to hire as an intern falls into one of these categories.

Internship Payroll Documents

The annual contract between the agency and UNL is supplemented by an individual Internship Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) outlining specific terms of employment. The student will obtain an MOU along with the payroll documents when they meet with a career advisor. The student and supervisor will complete and sign the MOU.

If the agency wishes to extend an internship or change the pay rate of an intern, a new MOU must be completed and submitted to Career Services. Wage changes must begin at the start of a pay period. Likewise, should the activities or expectations of an intern change significantly, a new MOU should be completed and submitted to Career Services.

In addition to the MOU, students must complete initial payroll documents before they can start working  Students should contact Orsi Toth at about required paperwork,  providing their full contact information and agency where they will intern. 

Most students must complete the below payroll documents personally in the Business Office located in 33 Canfield Administration Building (basement level, north side) and bring their Social Security card and a voided check:

  • I-9 (and documents for I-9 verification)
  • Personal Data Form
  • Direct Deposit Form
  • W-4
  • Student Worker Agreement
Weekly Time Sheets

Once on the job, interns submit time sheets every Thursday. The intern's agency supervisor (or designated representative) must sign these time sheets to verify hours worked and to authorize payment. Under no circumstances may one student intern sign the time sheets for another in lieu of a supervisor. Students are responsible for obtaining their supervisor's signature and for delivering their original time sheets by 4 p.m. on specified deadlines. Employing agencies should keep a copy for their records. Time sheets submitted after the established deadline will delay an intern's paycheck. Pay advices are available through Firefly.