Guidelines & Policies for Employers
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln recognizes that the recruiting process involves important decisions for both students and employers. We encourage students and employers to use fair and reasonable practices when in the job and internship search and appreciate employers who extend opportunities to students. In order to support those employers’ needs and to provide students adequate time to evaluate and respond to job and internship offers, we request employers consider these guidelines.
The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) notes, “Experience shows the best employment decisions for both students and employers are those that are made without pressure and with the greatest amount of information. Students given sufficient time to attend career fairs, participate in on-campus interviews, and/or complete the interviewing in which they are currently engaged are more likely to make good long-term employment decisions and may be less likely to renege on job acceptances” (NACE position on Reasonable Offer Deadline Guidelines ).
We expect students to:
- Make requests for reasonable accommodations promptly
- Immediately release offers they do not plan to accept in order to allow the employer the opportunity to consider another student for the position
- Not accept an offer for employment while continuing to pursue other opportunities
- Not renege or turn down a previously accepted job offer
We expect employers to:
- Demonstrate flexibility in working with students to consider reasonable requests
- Communicate hiring timelines clearly
- Not place undue pressure on students to make offer decisions
- Uphold job offers