Research & Development Genetics IT Intern
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
At Zoetis, the health and safety of our colleagues, contractors and interns is our top priority. We make decisions based on these guiding principles: Be Safe, Feel Safe, Feel Supported. As a Zoetis intern, you can expect Zoetis to abide by safety guidelines from the CDC, aligned with local guidance. At this time, we are planning our 2021 internships to take place remotely when possible. If remote work isn’t possible, our on-site safety requirements include face coverings, social distancing practices, and health monitoring practices such as temperature checks and activity logs. We are transparent in our communication regarding any confirmed COVID cases on-site.
The RDGx IT Internship will focus on automation of one or more data pipelines using Alteryx in order to calculate selected in silico properties (e.g. KI, pKa) for target small molecules. The combination of these calculated properties with structural and experimentally derived data (e.g. in vitro, in vivo, analytical) in a central datastore will be used for exploratory machine learning (ML) analysis.
At Zoetis we are passionate about our customers and the animals in their care. We discover, develop and manufacture the world’s most innovative and effective products for animal health—medicines, vaccines, diagnostics, genetic tests, biodevices—and we are creating the next generation of integrated solutions and services to support this evolving industry. We know our people drive our success. Our colleagues are proud of our company culture and the meaningful role we play in caring for animals. The Zoetis Core Beliefs define the commitments we make to our colleagues, our customers and our stakeholders every day. They have guided the creation of our award-winning workplace and our proud position as a leading partner of choice in animal health.
Internship Job Duties:
- Develop a prototype data pipeline in Alteryx to (i) retrieve batches of structural data from a Registration database, (ii) submit batch structure data to a High-Performance Compute environment for in silico property calculation, and (iii) store in silico properties in a suitable database
- Document pipeline development work in a project Wiki (Confluence)
- Attend meetings as required (e.g. Daily Stand-Up, Biweekly Sprint Review)
- Enrollment in Computer Science related degree program or, alternatively, a Science related degree program with demonstrated experience in Computational Chemistry
- Experience with coding and/or scientific data processing pipelines
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
Knowledge, Skills, Ability Requirements:
- Prior Alteryx experience or prior experience that demonstrates an ability to learn new applications, create and troubleshoot coding and work well with others
Students who are pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited institution with a current class standing of sophomore or above and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 are eligible for internships at Zoetis. Students must also be 18 years of age or older prior to their scheduled start date and be able to provide verification that they are enrolled in school and authorized to participate in an internship in the U.S. without immigration sponsorship. Students who are offered internships will need to successfully pass a drug screen and background check within 5 days of offer.