BACTERIAL FORMULATIONS INTERN
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Applications: November– February 2021
Interviews: January – March 2021, on a rolling basis
Offers: Late January – March 2021
Internship: 40 hours/week for 10-13 weeks, typically May – August
At Zoetis, the health and safety of our colleagues, contractors and interns is our top priority. We make decisions based on these guiding principles: Be Safe, Feel Safe, Feel Supported. As a Zoetis intern, you can expect Zoetis to abide by safety guidelines from the CDC, aligned with local guidance. The Bacterial Formulations Intern will work cross functionally across the bacteriology, formulations, and analytical teams. They will grow and process modified live bacteria of interest to Zoetis’ vaccine portfolio, then identify formulations and processes for stabilizing the bacteria, as well as the analytical assays for determining the subsequent impact on a final vaccine stability.
Internship Job Duties:
- Grow and process various strains of modified live bacteria for vaccine purposes.
- Optimize processes to provide consistent bacterial composition.
- Develop formulations and processes to stabilize the bacteria for extended shelf life with minimal loss.
- Develop/optimize assays to evaluate impact of optimized bacterial formulation on final vaccine product.
- Possess or currently pursuing degree related to Microbiology, Formulations, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, or similar field.
- Ideal candidate will have some understanding of excipients and processes that are stabilizing to bacteria.
- Ideal candidate will have experience with bacterial culture processes.
- Ability to communicate across disciplines.
- Enrolled in a degree program during the Spring term preceding internship
- Completion of at least one year of undergraduate studies and a 3.0 GPA or higher
- At least 18 years of age and authorized to work in the U.S.
- Successfully pass a background check and drug screen
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, problem solving & analytical skills