STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
ATAW99-2021-01998-Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Specialist-Laramie
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking an AIS (Aquatic Invasive Species) Specialist based out of Laramie, WY. This 9-month position is responsible for implementing the state’s aquatic invasive species program. The successful applicant will take primary responsibility for outreach, watercraft inspection, and monitoring in the Laramie region.
Human Resource Contact: Corey Johnson 307-777-4639
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Provide technical support and supervision to aquatic invasive species watercraft inspectors, including hiring, training, and scheduling.
- Provide outreach and education to the public on the Department’s aquatic invasive species program.
- Oversee aquatic invasive species data entry and lead data analysis and report writing.
- Oversee the organization and maintenance of equipment, including decontamination units, vehicles, sampling gear, and tablets.
- Implement existing monitoring plans for the early detection of aquatic invasive species.
- Design and implement field studies to document the distribution and relative abundance of established populations of aquatic invasive species.
- Develop and implement plans to contain, control, or eliminate existing populations of aquatic invasive species.
- Sample regional waters for AIS using Department motorized watercraft.
- Assist with regional fish and wildlife education events.
- Assist with other fish and wildlife surveys.
Preference will be given to those with a Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, or 3-4 years of progressive work experience in aquatic invasive species, fisheries management, or customer service.
**Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be familiar with Wyoming AIS laws and regulations.
- Must be able to work well independently and with others.
- Requires effective written and oral communication and public relations skills.
- Past experience in fish and wildlife-related work is desired but not essential.
None – See “Preferences”
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Weekend and holiday work will be required.
- The position will require some statewide travel.
- Positions require completion of inspector training courses and certifications provided by the Department.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to appointment.
- The tentative starting date is February 1, 2022. This position is a 9-month (40 hrs/wk) at-will contract.
- Uniform and other necessary gear will be provided when in the field.
- Please include a cover letter when submitting the state application. The cover letter should include career plans and suitability for the job.
- CONTACT: For more information regarding this position, contact Joshua Leonard, AIS Coordinator, at 307-721-1374.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department – Fish Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version