Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking current students with an architectural and/or structural engineering focus for 2021 Internships across the country.
At WJE, we spend almost as much time in the field, up close and personal with our projects, as we do in the office. As an Intern, you will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with industry-leading experts and gain hands-on experience while applying classroom knowledge to real-world challenges.
With twenty-eight offices across the country, a growing international presence, and some of the most challenging projects in the built world, WJE offers the chance to learn what you love and discover where you want to be.
Typical Intern Responsibilities:
- Assist project teams with on-site investigations, condition assessments, and construction observations, which may include surveying, documenting distress, field testing, collecting data and samples, and preparing site visit reports (Field testing may include diagnostic water testing, non-destructive testing, and structural load testing.)
- Organize field data and assist with research of modern and historic construction documents, building codes, and design guidelines to facilitate analysis, problem solving, and repair design
- Perform analysis under the guidance of licensed professionals using a combination of hand calculations and analysis software
- Assist project teams with preparation of preliminary and final client deliverables, including structural and architectural construction documents, specifications, and written reports
Qualifications WJE looks for in an Intern:
- Current student with excellent academic standing in junior or senior year of a bachelor’s or in a graduate program in civil/structural engineering, architecture, architectural engineering, building science, or related field, from an accredited program
- Effective verbal, graphical, and written communication skills
- Enthusiasm for solving problems in the built world and curiosity about how things work
- Interest in forensic engineering and architecture with a focus on existing structures
- Demonstrated leadership skills, integrity, and work ethic
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, fax, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at the various office, field, and construction sites
- Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials, and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is a global firm of engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping solve, repair, and avoid problems in the built world since 1956. Our applied experience from more than 125,000 projects combined with unparalleled laboratory and testing capabilities have made WJE a leader in providing innovative yet practical solutions to the clients we serve.
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, minorities, women, and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor).
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.