Job Title: Seasonal Whiterock Conservancy Trails Intern-
Reports to: Primarily Land Management Operations Manager
Status: Seasonal 40 hr/ week, Exempt
Pay: Paid hourly with housing available upon request
Date: 14 – 28 week term- Flexible on start and end dates between April 1 and September 30.
Whiterock Conservancy stewards over 5,500 acres in West-Central Iowa near Coon Rapids. The gorgeous Whiterock landscape that attracts visitors from all over the state, region, and nation is a mix of savannas, rolling pastures, native and restored prairies, wetlands, riverside bluffs, fishing ponds, crop ground, and unique historic, geologic, and archaeological sites. Whiterock Conservancy was formed in 2004 to manage one of the largest land gifts in the history of Iowa generously given by the Garst family. https://www.whiterockconservancy.org/
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Assume primary responsibility in general trail maintenance- mowing, weed eating, and tree cutting.
· Assist Whiterock staff in identifying problem areas to develop as special projects (i.e. bridges, water control features, reroutes, regrading).
· Assist Whiterock Conservancy Staff with leading volunteers to help complete tasks/ special projects.
· Works with the public to provide assistance for daily visitation and special events.
· Work with WRC staff to conduct outreach and education on trails, natural resources, and events.
· Willingness to learn to identify and control invasive species, apply chemicals in an environmentally sensitive manner, and conduct controlled burns.
· Willingness to travel on business, using own vehicle if necessary, under the existing WRC business travel reimbursement policy.
· Act in the best interest of WRC at all times while serving as an employee.
· Carry out responsibilities in accordance with WRC’s organizational policies, programs and procedures.
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Ability to operate or learn to operate equipment such as weed trimmer, chainsaw, push and riding mowers, bush trimmer, ride on ditch witch, tractor, ATV’s, and basic power tools such as drills, skill saw, etc.
· Requires outdoor work in all seasons and traversing rough terrain by foot and vehicle.
· Ability to work independently and follow written, verbal, and technical directions.
· Ability to travel using own vehicle when necessary
· Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed to provide customer services associated with running a service-oriented business.
· Commitment to environmental conservation.
· Strong desire to learn new skills and develop as a professional in a conservation or recreation field.