Whirlpool Corporation is consistently recognized by Fortune Magazine as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies. Our values are the driving force behind everything we do. Respect, integrity, diversity and inclusion, teamwork and the spirit of winning propel our teams to excellence. Get to know us and see what it’s like to be part of the world’s leading major home appliance company.
The Whirlpool Engineering Rotational Leadership Development (WERLD) program is one of our most successful and longest running programs. WERLD is focused on developing a strong engineering foundation in order to prepare participants for the variety of career paths available within Whirlpool’s Global Product Organization. Interns are given critical projects over a twelve week period while full time participants rotate through multiple products in the different stages of product development – from research and development all the way to manufacturing.
Project assignments could be in areas such as:
- Develop, test, and implement new appliance and system designs that satisfy consumer, trade partner and business requirements
- Design, develop, review and conduct coordination for test programs of components, small systems or materials to achieve targeted product performance, cost and quality requirements
- Apply robust design tools and a consumer-centered focus to innovative product designs
- Analyze, evaluate, and document product testing and troubleshooting data
- Identify, analyze, and solve issues to improve product performance and quality
- Learn and apply lean techniques to applicable projects
- Interface with business partners, suppliers, and customers
Background and Experience
Minimum Background and Experiences
- Progress toward a BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering/Science, or Chemical Engineering
- Sophomore standing or higher and a minimum G.P.A of 3.0/ 4.0
Preferred Background and Experiences
- Cumulative G.P.A. of 3.2/4.0
- Ability to apply engineering theory to practical problems and demonstrated technical ability through project work (internships, research, design projects, clubs)
- Demonstrated deep technical ability through classwork and project work
- Ability to clearly communicate technical concepts at a high level and in depth
- Actively involved in campus or community activities and organizations, preferably in leadership roles
- Demonstrated critical thinking ability and systems engineering mindset to solve challenging problems
- Ability to work with and lead teams
- “Own It” Attitude- self motivated to drive for differentiated results
- Displays influential leadership potential – self-aware, high intellect yet humble
- Upon successful completion of the summer internship program, you will be considered for full-time employment in the Whirlpool Engineering Rotational Leadership Development (WERLD) Program.
If you meet the minimum requirements of the job description, you will be prompted to take a behavioral assessment called “Plum” within one week of your application.
This position is located at our global headquarters in Saint Joseph and Benton Harbor, Michigan. Whirlpool Corporation’s headquarters is located in the community in which we were founded. Known as the “Twin Cities,” Saint Joseph and Benton Harbor offer thriving year-round shopping and arts districts, quaint shops, wineries, bakeries and restaurants. These communities boast 40 miles of Lake Michigan beachfront, where swimming, sailing, kayaking, waterskiing, boating, and beach volleyball are abundant during the summer. Winter activities include a Luminary Festival, Reindog Parade, chili tour, and ice carving festival.
For this position, Whirlpool Corporation will not sponsor visas for candidates at this time. Get to know more about our programs at https://www.whirlpoolcareers.com/work-with-us-ca-students/.
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world’s leading kitchen and laundry appliance company, with approximately $20 billion in annual sales, 77,000 employees and 59 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2019. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, JennAir, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. Additional information about the company can be found at whirlpoolcorp.com.
Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Additional information about the company can be found on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.