Vertiv is hiring an Associate Firmware Engineer for HMI in Columbus, Ohio who will be tasked with developing communications and user interfaces for power distribution and switching products and/or Uninterruptible Power Supply products. The successful candidate will have an engineering degree and firmware development experience in a related field as follows.
The Associate Firmware Engineer will work independently and as part of a team to perform the following essential functions:
- Performs analysis and design of software system architectures for communications and graphical User Interface (UI) for a line of power distribution and switching and/or Uninterruptible Power Supply products.
- Works jointly with other Software Engineers on system and product architecture and related design strategies.
- Performs unit coding and integration of embedded firmware.
- Develops and performs design test verification
- Releases new designs to manufacturing and provides support through pilot and first production
- Technical content primarily related to software, including, but not limited to, source code, executable, architectural specifications, and theory of operation.
- Provides daily support to engineering work group.
- Provides assistance to ensure tests are performed safely and correctly.
- Participates in product conceptions, design reviews and qualification product approvals.
- Communicates test results and requirements to product manufacturers and other functional groups.
- Works and interacts in a group setting with other designers to meet schedule dates.
- Takes direction from multiple sources to accomplish tasks.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Daily interacts with all functional groups of AC Power Engineering, including new product development teams, Test Engineering, electronic design, reliability and component engineering.
- Collaborates with other local engineering groups, including monitoring interface designers, foundation software developers, graphics programmers and other UI platform users
- Works with international engineering teams, which sometimes requires participation in online and phone conferences outside of normal working hours
- Meets project schedules, project goals and cost objectives.
- Completes design deliverables, including released engineering documentation, documented results of the qualification and verification testing, and other supporting materials
- B.S. degree in Electrical or Computer Science Engineering.
- Experience developing firmware. Must have experience doing embedded code development on a micro controller or digital signal processor (DSP).
- Must have experience developing embedded code in C and C++. Knowledge of QT GUI.
- Must have experience using firmware debugging tools (GDB and QtCreator preferred).
- Experience with programming communications protocols, user graphics, system controls for UPS, power distribution, switching, or related products.
- Knowledge of developing firmware in a Linux environment.
- Experience with firmware development life cycle is desirable.
- Experience with bug/defect tracking tools.
- Must have experience setting up and performing tests in a lab environment to validate firmware designs and requirements. Must know how to use an oscilloscope, power meters etc.
- Must know how to read a circuit board schematic and must have experience troubleshooting both hardware and firmware related bugs.
- Must have experience documenting firmware using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Must have Experience with configuration management practices and tools.
- Must have good communication skills: written and oral.