Vala’s Pumpkin Patch & Apple Orchard is now accepting applications for a Landscape Intern to be part of the Agriculture Team. Located in Gretna, Nebraska, Vala’s is a fall festival open to the public 45 to 55 days a year and a treasured fall tradition for many families in the surrounding communities. Vala’s is one of the largest pick-your-own pumpkin patches in the world, spanning 400+ acres and including over 50 attractions, like pick-your-own pumpkins and apples, and over 25 specialty food locations. Working at Vala’s during the fall season is a fast-paced, exciting experience that’s also very rewarding – we create happiness!
As the Landscape Intern you will work under the direction of the Agriculture and Orchard Manager, helping to manage the landscape design throughout the farm. This position will work with the Agriculture and Orchard Manager to help with the production and care of the landscape and implementation of garden areas throughout the farm while contributing to a fast paced, family friendly, unique environment.
Internship will begin May 10, 2021. The Vala’s Internship Program pays interns an hourly wage of $11/hour with requirement to work a minimum of 40 hours per week in the summer months and 15 hours (or more based upon availability) per week during our season of September and October (September 1 – October 31). No housing is provided and no fees are applied. Participants must have their own transportation to and from work.
- Work under the direction of owners and Agriculture Management to design and implement garden space throughout the public areas of the farm
- Plan and implement irrigation for the flower bed areas
- Maintain flower beds and containers throughout the Fall season (Vala’s is open to the public Sept and Oct)
- Care of containers throughout the farm
- Assist with the production of container mums and cut flower gardens
- Plan and implement a sustainable garden plan (i.e. rain garden, pollinator garden)
- Work with Nebraska Extension Office to certify garden areas throughout the farm
- Pursuing a degree in one of the following areas: Landscape Design, Agronomy/Horticulture, Natural Resources, Entomology, Plant Pathology
- This job requires being outside, being on your feet, walking short and long distances, some lifting is involved
- Must be able to attend weekly staff meetings
- Attend internship orientation
- Develop skills in planning and implementation of landscape design
- Create a sustainable garden
- Demonstrate knowledge of sustainable growing practices
- Enhance public knowledge of sustainable growing features in small and medium scale garden areas
- Learn what it is like to work in a fast paced, busy, Agritainment business environment
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to Brianne McDonald, HR Manager at Vala’s Pumpkin Patch & Apple Orchard at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should tell us why you are interested in an internship at Vala’s. Please indicate in the letter which internship position you are applying for.