Vala’s Pumpkin Patch & Apple Orchard is now accepting applications for an intern to be part of the Agriculture Team. Located in Gretna, Nebraska, Vala’s is a fall festival open to the public 45 to 55 days a year and a treasured fall tradition for many families in the surrounding communities. Vala’s is one of the largest pick-your-own pumpkin patches in the world, spanning 400+ acres and including over 50 attractions, like pick-your-own pumpkins and apples, and over 25 specialty food locations. Working at Vala’s during the fall season is a fast-paced, exciting experience that’s also very rewarding – we create happiness!
As the Agriculture Intern you will work under the direction of the Agriculture and Orchard Manager, helping to manage over 100 acres of fields and orchards throughout the farm. This position will work with the Agriculture and Orchard Manager to help with production, maintenance, and sales of orchard crops and produce, as well as some minimal landscaping while contributing to a fast paced, family friendly, unique environment.
Internship will begin May 10, 2021. The Vala’s Internship Program pays interns an hourly wage of $11/hour with requirement to work a minimum of 40 hours per week in the summer months and 16-20 hours (or more based upon availability) per week during our season of September and October (September 1 – October 31). No housing is provided and no fees are applied. Participants must have their own transportation to and from work.
- Assist orchard crew in maintaining the pumpkin patch and apple orchard
- Planting and Harvesting
- Processing apples
- Cider production
- Weed control
- Attend weekly in person staff meetings
- Work under the direction of the Agriculture Manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Pursuing a degree in one of the following areas: Agronomy/Horticulture, Natural Resources, Landscape Design, Entomology, Plant Pathology
- This job requires being outside in a variety of weather conditions, being on your feet, walking short and long distances, some lifting is involved
- Must be able to attend weekly staff meetings
- Must be able to work in September and October for our season (modified hours)
- Learn what it is like to work in a fast paced, busy, Agritainment business environment
- Gain knowledge in the management of large crop production
- Strengthen the farm to table link for our guests by sharing knowledge of production and crop management
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to Brianne McDonald, HR Manager at Vala’s Pumpkin Patch & Apple Orchard at email@example.com. Your cover letter should tell us why you are interested in an internship at Vala’s. Please indicate in the letter which internship position you are applying for.