Communications, Graphics and/or Media Volunteer/Internship
Start Dates are Flexible to Match Your College Intern Credit Needs
at Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind
Schedule: Flexible: Students will volunteer by project. The hours will be flexible and can be temporary or more permanent by semester as desired by the student. USDB is a 501 ©(3) nonprofit. Your work here may also qualify as volunteer hours if desired.
Locations: You may chose to work remotely or you may work from our locations, Ogden 742 Harrison Blvd, or SLC, 1655 East 3300 South, or Springville.
You may select your preferred assignments from a variety of tasks:
- Produce a moving graphic map of Utah that can be used in a video. Video from various towns will come from those points on the map to full screen.
- Assist the PR team with office tasks such as updating email lists and updating the website.
- Assist Photographer/Videographer – participate in two camera shoots for videos and live social media events. Transcribe, or log, video interviews, select soundbites, produce social media posts if desired. On occasion help carry and set up camera gear and lighting equipment.
- Assist Communications Director – Support efforts to produce a weekly newsletter, weekly social media posts, and frequent video production. Other duties as assigned that support the needs of a fast-paced communications team to support the outreach efforts of amazing schools and programs personalized for students who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, visually impaired, and deaf-blind.
- Become a PR/reporter. We’ll send you to meet outstanding teachers or students. Using social distancing and health recommendations, you can use your phone to interview them, take pictures of them, and produce/edit video success stories that we will share on social media and you may share in your personal portfolio for future job seeking efforts, if you desire.
- Social Media Management Experience: Analyze our social media presence. Make recommendations for improvements. Track activity. Estimate a publicity value for social media posts. We’ll give you the ingredients: pictures, video, wording, and you can share input if desired and create the posts.
Experience: Students will gain experience working in a communications department, assisting efforts in public relations using multiple modalities including video, social media, graphic design if desired, and USDB’s website. Student will arrange credits through their university or college. The USDB Communications Team will complete all forms necessary to support your ability to gain credit from this work experience. USDB will ensure you are given meaningful tasks that will boost your employment skills and help build your resume for future years to come.
Note: USDB is known as a leader in deaf and blind education worldwide. The Deaf School is ranked #1 in the nation for high school completion rates for deaf students. The Blind School shares best practices with teachers and school administrators across the country and around the world. Our teachers help others to be the best teachers they can be. This job is very rewarding in a positive, education environment. Learn more by visiting Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Remote Work: Work remotely if desired. We can even interview/hire and meet with you during your internship via ZOOM. We are flexible here. We’ll give you a usdb email and google drive suite to store your work and communicate with us.
Skills & Tools:
Experience with American Sign Language is a big plus!
Experience with Deaf or Blind Etiquette are a plus, but not required. You’ll learn these simple etiquette skills easily on the job.
You do need a mobile phone and access to a laptop for this internship.
The PR Team is based at: 1655 East 3300 South Salt Lake City, Utah
You will have to pass a background check to work with us.
To apply: Send desired work dates/hours to Susan Thomas SusanT@usdb.org