In the United States Army, Military Working Dog (MWD) K9 handlers are responsible for the care and training of his or her service dog, which contributes to combat operations abroad and installation security at home by providing target odor detection (explosive/drug). Service dogs, generally seen as a non-lethal option for neutralizing a threat, also serve as a psychological deterrent during law enforcement operations. You will also be able to work alongside Federal, State, County and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.
- Patrol Drug Detector Dog (PDDD) handler
- Patrol Explosive Detector Dog (PEDD) handler
- Health and Welfare searches
- Law and Order operations
- Installation Force Protection and Law and Order support
- VIP support
- Customs support
Job training for Military Working Dog handlers requires 17 weeks of Advanced Individual Training (AIT) on how to care for, handle and train a Military Working Dog (MWD). The training is in two phases. The first seven-week phase covers on-the-job instruction and teaches police methods and techniques for dog handling. The second phase of instruction is an 11-week course that provides basic instructions on the application of Military Working Dog utilization and employment capabilities. Phase II instructs in basic obedience, controlled aggression, first aid, principles of conditioning, building searches, scouting, detection, and daily care and grooming of assigned MWD.
Handlers will also learn other basic skills, including:
- Basic use of firearms
- Military/civil laws and jurisdiction
- Arrest and restraint of suspects
- Other specialized dog handling techniques
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with federal, state and local law enforcement. Many of the jobs skills you learn will also help you to perform civilian jobs that involve working with animals, and general management positions.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- New York City Police Dept.
- Louisville Metro Police
- Clearwater PD
- Alabama Department of Corrections
- Las Vegas Metro Police Department
- Kansas Highway Patrol
- City of Chicago
- Baltimore Police Department
- Corpus Christi Police Department
- Paid training
- Salary Pay
- Housing and meal allowance for full-time positions
- 30 days of paid vacation each year, in addition to federal holidays
- 401(K) type savings plan
- Full-coverage medical and dental insurance for Soldiers and immediate family members
- Low-cost life insurance (up to $400,000 coverage)
- Education Benefits (GI Bill) – tuition, housing, and book fees for 36 academic months of college
- Tuition Assistance – up to $4500 per year
- Student Loan Repayment – up to $65,000 in college loan repayment
- Signing bonus – up to $40,000 in cash bonuses
In order to meet the minimum qualifications, you must:
- Be under 35 years old
- Be a US Citizen or Hold at least permanent residence (I-551/Greed Card)
- Have a High School Diploma/GED
- Have no major medical issues
- Have no major law violations (Felony level)
If you are interested in finding out more about this position, please apply now and within 24-48 hours, you will receive an email from our recruiting team, directly.