Tower Hill Botanic Garden believes diversity in nature promotes a healthy, vigorous garden. We believe that diversity among our staff promotes a healthy work environment and a vigorous organization. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe in diversity of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ability, and all the other traits that make us unique. Tower Hill is an equal opportunity employer.
Under the direction of the Exhibitions Coordinator, the Exhibitions Intern will assist in the development and installation of Tower Hill Botanic Garden’s fall exhibition, Mythical Creatures. This outdoor exhibit features nature and plant inspired creatures, imagined, and created in-house. The Exhibitions Intern will work closely with Exhibitions Coordinator to create high quality, outdoor, 3D sculptural pieces and develop exhibit interpretation.
· Work with the Exhibitions Coordinator to develop a plan for 3D sculptural pieces that will make up the Mythical Creatures exhibit.
· Assist with the creation of 15 unique and handmade sculptural pieces made from various materials.
· Assist in development of interpretive materials geared towards families such as signage and handouts.
· Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Ability to carry out responsibilities both independently and collaboratively.
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Ability to communicate well in person and in writing
· Strong problem-solving skills.
· Able to comfortably work with a diverse group of co-workers
· Demonstrate creativity, reliability, flexibility, and enthusiasm.
Education and Experience
· In progress or obtained bachelor’s degree, preferably in Studio Art, Design, or Museum Studies and/or a clear demonstration of experience with 3D design work.
· Proven experience with creating high quality artwork using various means of construction.
The Exhibitions Intern position is unpaid. Applicants must receive credit or stipend from their college or university. Tower Hill is prepared to provide supervision, feedback and reporting as part of an academic internship program. A weekly schedule will be discussed and mutually agreed upon with the Exhibitions Coordinator. The ideal start date for this position is May 2021 with an end date of August 2021, although there is some flexibility. Candidates must commit to a 10-to-12-week internship, working a minimum of 10 hours per week.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
· Must be able to lift 25 pounds and work outdoors in all seasonal extremes.
· Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, stand, and walk for extended periods of time and to navigate uneven grounds and stairs evenly.
Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential functions as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.