Job Title: Finance & Administration Coordinator
Reports To: Executive Director
Summary/Objective: The Finance & Administration Coordinator will oversee financial transactions and budgeting, and will provide administrative support in a busy nonprofit environment. This position will work closely with the Executive Director, and support the entire team in fulfillment of the organization’s mission.
About the WCF: The Willa Cather Foundation is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that promotes the legacy of Pulitzer Prize-winning author Willa Cather through education, preservation, and the arts. Since its founding in 1955, the WCF has been located in Red Cloud—a small and vibrant community in south-central Nebraska.
Financial Management Essential Functions:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports
- Review and analyze all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both division budgets and actual expenditures
- Monitor budget progress and present financial metrics to department heads
- Reconcile bank, credit card, and investment accounts
- Perform accounting functions such as receivables, payables, adjustments, deposits, wires, payroll, etc.
- Coordinate the process, including preparation of workpapers, for the annual fiscal audit, preparation of Form 990, as well as insurance, IRS and other annual compliance audits and return filings
- Prepare and submit monthly sales tax and lodging tax filings to the Nebraska Department of Revenue
- Keep accurate records of bookstore inventory, purchase orders, and quantities on hand
Administrative and Other Essential Functions:
- Monitor and oversee employee benefit and PTO programs
- Maintain accurate HR files on all employees
- Assist with grant administration, general compliance, and timely reporting
- Maintain corporate documents, meeting minutes, policies, procedures, etc.
- Provide administrative and organizational support for events and meetings
- Coordinate IT services with outside provider
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance
- 1-3 years’ experience in bookkeeping or finance is preferred, but not required
- Prior experience in non-profit accounting is preferred, but not required
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and fund accounting systems
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Detail-oriented and the ability to problem-solve
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and communicate effectively and professionally
- An understanding of literature, the humanities, and the arts
- The ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team
- A life-long learner who embraces opportunities to continue to grow professionally
- Adeptness to reprioritize projects as new assignments arise
- The flexibility to work as part of a small team that often wears multiple hats
Schedule and Work Environment: Generally eight-hour days, Monday through Friday, and occasional weekends as needed for events. Candidates must be available to work on site at least 3 days each week; flex time and/or remote work will be available after a 30-day onboarding.
Salary and Benefits: A competitive wage will be based on experience. Benefits, including health insurance, IRA, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO) are available. Housing and relocation support are also available.
This job description may evolve over time. Duties and the position status are subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different and/or additional responsibilities.
To apply, send cover letter, résumé, and three professional references to:
The Willa Cather Foundation
Attn: Human Resources
413 North Webster Street
Red Cloud, NE 68970
DEADLINE: Applicants are encouraged to apply by Monday, November 30. The position will remain open until filled.