Based at The Wild Center, a natural history museum in New York’s Adirondack Park, the Youth Climate Program (YCP) is a global initiative that empowers students to develop and implement climate action plans in their schools and communities. The YCP seeks a highly motivated and organized Climate Communications Fellow to support the program’s communications, including social media, monthly email blasts, event support and other modes of outreach. The Fellow will also assist with planning and implementing educational programs, and will support development of a new climate change solutions exhibit, slated to open during Summer 2022. The position runs from January to December 2022 and has some flexibility based on the applicant’s schedule. Position is based in Tupper Lake, NY.
● Assist with Youth Climate Program communication, including email newsletters, social media, and event promotion.
● Assist with planning and implementing major programs, including the Youth Climate Leadership Retreat, the Adirondack Youth Climate Summit, and Summer Institute for Teachers.
● Assist with mentoring youth leaders, including visiting schools, leading workshops, and chaperoning trips.
● Assist with development of a new climate change solutions exhibit, including visitor evaluation, prototyping exhibit interactives, content research and administrative support.
● Learn the latest climate change science, impacts, and solutions, and utilize innovative education techniques to communicate climate change to visitors and YCP participants.
● There is flexibility within this position to develop projects that align with the fellow’s passions, strengths, and areas for growth.
● Approach all work with a focus on equity, diversity and inclusion
● Strong communication skills, including writing, editing, and public speaking
● High attention to detail
● Self motivated and comfortable working independently
● Passionate about climate change, empowering young people, and climate justice
● Excited and willing to learn and develop new skills
● Flexibility and the ability to adapt to change as it arises – The Wild Center is a dynamic, team-based setting where responsibilities can change quickly
● Organization and time management skills – you will work on multiple tasks concurrently
● Competence using computers, particularly the Google Suite, Zoom, and social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
● Evening and weekend work required
● Willing to adhere to NYS COVID safety procedures and regulations
● Exposure to the Youth Climate Program and/or Youth Climate Summits is beneficial
Compensation & Benefits
● Hourly rate of $13.20/hour for a 40 hour work week
● Shared, fully -equipped housing available in within 1 mile of The Wild Center
● The opportunity to work in a LEED certified state of the art facility on a 115 acre site on the Raquette River featuring over 50 species of live exhibit animals
● Develop a deeper knowledge of the natural and cultural history of the Adirondack Park and up to date knowledge of climate science and solutions
● Formal training opportunities and ongoing mentorship firstname.lastname@example.org communicating climate change, exhibit development, and climate leadership
● Professional networking opportunities with leaders in the climate education field
● The Wild Center strives to create an environment where our team thrives both personally and professionally. While life on the job can move at a fast pace, we appreciate the times we can slow down. Whether it’s sharing stories over a staff potluck, being wowed by cool science facts, or taking a break during a meeting to view a cute animal – we make time to grow together as a community
Please answer the following questions in a cover letter:
● Tell us about your personal connection to climate change. Why are you passionate about taking climate action?
● How does this fellowship align with your personal and/or career goals?
Please visit the Climate Communications Fellow Application link to apply, and attach a resume and cover letter answering the above questions within the application. Application deadline is Friday, December 17, 2021. The Wild Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We have a strong dedication to diversity in our community and in the people and groups with which we work.