Summer & Fall 2021 (May or June – December preferred) / 40 hours per week
Housing allowance available to qualified candidates
Please note: This co-op is designed to provide an on-site work experience. However, due to current capacity restrictions, this assignment has the potential to include remote (possibly up to 50% or more) work projects. The remote work requirements could be subject to change at any time based on future pandemic developments.
As an Electrical Engineering Co-Op in Product Engineering, you will be treated as a self-sufficient entry-level engineer with an assigned mentor for support. You will be responsible for troubleshooting, determining solutions, and implementing changes to resolve various design issues that support production, reduce warranty, and/or fulfill customer requests. The issues are typically harnessing, motors & controllers, PCB designs, sensors & encoders, controls systems, or electrical-related. You will go through forklift training and acquire your forklift operating license in order to assist in your learning of the products, testing of prototypes, and determining solution activities.
Your Key Skills & Qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology
- A strong desire to be hands-on and spend time in the test lab as well as on the production floor
- A working knowledge of simulation software, such as SPICE
- Ability to successfully interface with a diverse group (i.e. manufacturing operators, engineers, leadership staff)
- Analytical with a strong orientation toward problem-solving
- A working knowledge of circuit card layout and design
- A working knowledge of electric motors and sensors
- Strong presentation skills – comfortable presenting to a diverse audience
- Drive the investigation and resolution of design issues in order to keep production running smoothly
- Drive the investigation and implementation of design changes to decrease product cost
- Determine root cause and implement corrective actions for parts returned through the warranty process
- Review non-conforming material requests to determine usability in production
- Design new features to meet market requests
- Reproduce, determine root cause, and recommend solution for field issues to ensure customer satisfaction
Product Engineering is a multi-disciplinary team that is responsible for the design integrity of all products both in production, as well as post-production. The team provides technical expertise to resolve production issues in a just-in-time environment where any downtime quickly cascades. The team is also responsible for the end customer’s total cost of ownership by quickly resolving any in or out-of-warranty issues. Between model redesigns, the team is also tasked with feature development to continue to add more value to the product.