Summer and Fall 2021 (May/June – December) / 40 hours per week
Housing allowance available to eligible candidates
Please note: This co-op is designed to provide an on-site work experience. However, due to current capacity restrictions, this assignment has the potential to include remote (possibly up to 50% or more) work projects. The remote work requirements could be subject to change at any time based on future pandemic developments.
As a Co-Op in Advanced Research, you will be treated as a self-sufficient entry-level engineer with an assigned mentor for support. You will be responsible for evaluating various technologies to solve problems, creating prototypes to test designs, conducting experiments in the test lab, as well as collecting, reducing, and analyzing data. You will then present this knowledge in a design review to leverage the experience of a broad range of engineers and continue to develop a solution that meets the needs of both internal and external stakeholders.
Your Key Skills & Qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a BS or MS in Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Data Science
- Strong communications skills and the ability to interface with a diverse group (i.e. manufacturing, software, electrical, and mechanical engineers)
- Systems-level approach to understanding a problem and developing a solution
- Broad exposure to a variety of engineering disciplines
- A desire to be hands-on and drive a solution from concept to reality
- Data reduction and analysis experience
- Strong presentation skills – comfortable presenting to a diverse audience
- Gather information first-hand to fully understand a problem
- Research similar applications and how these problems have been solved in related industries
- Collaborate with other engineers to develop a solution that often requires input from a multidisciplinary team
- Work with lab technicians to create a functional prototype and test the design
- Host design reviews and incorporate feedback from the greater organization to refine the design
Advanced Research is a multi-disciplinary team that identifies and applies new technology to shape the future of the material handling industry. Areas of active research include: data science, machine learning, automation, energy, augmented reality, and virtual reality simulation. The team identifies ways that new technology can be utilized to bring value to both internal and external customers by creating novel tools, products, and services.