First Tee – Greater Richmond (FTGR) is a youth development organization that uses the game of golf and its inherent values to shape the lives of young people from all walks of life. We are strengthening the character of the community by providing programs that build resilience in our youth, teach critical life skills, and provide caring adult supervision in a safe environment.
The Summer Interns are responsible for coaching and mentoring young people to become positive role models and active golfers. This objective is achieved by the daily delivery of life skills, golf skills and healthy habits in a safe, fun, and engaging camp setting. These positions help maintain the goals of the organization’s strategic plan and may be involved in other FTGR projects, as needed.
- Teach basic golf skills to athletes ages 4-17 and follow lesson plans to set up fun activities for campers.
- Integrate First Tee Nine Core Values and First Tee Nine Healthy Habits with golf skills to guide and coach young people to become future citizens and active golfers.
- Supervise and create relationships with dozens of youth in summer camp sessions.
- Deliver curriculum and appropriate activities that meet the developmental needs of youth.
- Assist First Tee – Greater Richmond with any necessary communication among participants, parents, and volunteers.
- Develop weekly newsletters summarizing week of summer camp to participants and families.
- Show initiative and work effectively with Lead coaches, Volunteer coaches and facility staff.
- Collaborate with other interns to complete projects including lesson plan building and creating marketing materials to increase brand awareness.
- Understand and apply procedures and practices of First Tee – Greater Richmond to ensure a safe environment in accordance with the Safe Sport Act.
- Perform additional responsibilities related to the success of the organization.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Incoming first year student or current undergraduate student in good standing at accredited four-year college, graduate students in good standing also eligible
- Effective and proactive team communication, facilitation, problem solving, time management and decision making
- Exemplify good character and reputation that is reflective of First Tee’s Mission
- Desire to mentor youth
- Enthusiastic for an active lifestyle and passion for using sports to teach character enhancing values to children
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and to lift/move boxes of supplies potentially 30 pounds or more
- Efficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as experience with standard office equipment
Work Environment and Expectations
This position will require the individual to travel to First Tee – Greater Richmond golf facilities
- The Elson Redmond Memorial Driving in Richmond, VA
- The Tattersall Youth Development Center at First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course in North Chesterfield, VA
- Belmont Golf Course in Henrico, VA
Typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties and business demand.
Summer internship dates are June 14th, 2021 – August 8th, 2021.