Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around May or June 2021 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e. through August or September) or into early Fall 2021 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships.
Please consider availability before submitting an application.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
Interns within Test & Analysis will support the design, development, production, and testing of current & future vehicle products. Your scope of work will be a combination of mechanical, electrical, design, and software projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and cost-down targets. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners, external vendors, and suppliers.
- Analysis Engineering
- Structures Engineering
- Test Engineering
What to Expect
Internships within Vehicle Engineering will be mechanical, however interdisciplinary in nature. This could include (but is not limited to) the following:
Analysis Engineering & Structures Engineering
- Use CAE simulation tools to develop vehicle structure, crash safety, durability, fatigue, and vibration performance
- Collaborate with vehicle engineering teams to analyze the performance of future vehicle designs
- Collaborate with test engineering teams to develop tests, correlate simulation models, and improve predictive capability
- Collaborate with teams to test and validate various vehicle components
- Conduct data analysis to determine reliability, fleet usage, and success of vehicle concepts
- Write technical reports documenting findings
Specific project assignments and required technical aptitude will vary:
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program.
- Knowledge of Finite Element Analysis, Applied Solid Mechanics, Material science and Numerical Methods.
- Working knowledge of Matlab, Labview, and Python; GD&T required, proficiency preferred.
- Experience with hardware validation and using standard lab & test equipment, like power supplies, electronic loads, o-scopes, DMM’s etc.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics.
- Experience with CAD software such as Atrium or Eagle is a plus.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with an interest in analytical & numerical techniques is preferred.
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred.