Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around May or June 2021 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e. through August or September) or into early Fall 2021 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships.
Please consider availability before submitting an application.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
Interns within Vehicle Integration & Attributes will support the design, development, production, and testing of current & future vehicle components and products. Your scope of work will be a combination of mechanical, electrical, design, and software projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and cost-down targets. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners, external vendors, and suppliers.
- New Programs Engineering
- Noise and Vibration Engineering
- Vehicle Integration
- Dimensional Engineering
What to Expect
Internships within Vehicle Engineering will be mechanical, however interdisciplinary in nature.
This could include (but is not limited to) the following:
New Programs Engineering
- Study, simulate, build, and prove future vehicle concepts as successful or unsuccessful
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners within vehicle engineering to develop 3D designs, mules, prototypes, and demonstrators to inform downstream engineering efforts
Noise and Vibration Engineering
- Develop, simulate, and validate concepts to support sound (road noise, wind, and powertrain noise) regulation of Tesla products
- Solve engineering challenges at all stages of product development, from simulation to quality control
- Utilize concepts like acoustics, vibration engineering, digital signal processing, music performance and theory, and audio engineering to enhance product sound
- Mechanical design and packaging of vehicle components
- Execute virtual and physical prototype builds
- Work with engineering component owners to solve product packaging and attribute problems
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure product compatibility with all organizational requirements
- Ensure dimensional precision of Tesla product design
- Quantify cosmetic, functional, and assembly dimensional targets in early stages of development
- Work with design and manufacturing engineering teams to achieve dimensional targets from the component and process perspective
- Build simulation models to prove concepts and optimize detail design
- Benchmark competitor vehicles and consolidate data to define a robust and competitive craftsmanship target
- Validate target through physical models or visualization methods and communicate target requirements to the Engineering Design community
- Assist in the creation & development of gap and flush control documents and ownership of targets to process delivery alignment
- Develop verification testing methods to ensure all targets are validated
Specific project assignments and required technical aptitude will vary:
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program
- Strong understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Hands-on experience with physical car projects preferred (Formula SAE, Solar Car, etc.)
- Experience with CAD, CATIA preferred
- Strong problem-solving skills, with an interest in analytical and numerical techniques is preferred
- Product design experience preferred
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred