Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around May or June 2021 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e. through August or September) or into early Fall 2021 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships.
Please consider availability before submitting an application.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
About the Team
Interns within Design Engineering will support the development, production, and testing of current & future vehicle designs. Your scope of work will be a combination of mechanical, electrical, design, and software projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and cost-down targets. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners, external vendors, and suppliers.
- Safety Systems Engineering
- Chassis Engineering
- Thermal Engineering
- Body Structure Engineering
- Interior Engineering
- Exterior Engineering
What to Expect
Internships within Vehicle Engineering will be interdisciplinary in nature. This could include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Support various Safety System teams, including manufacturing controls, range certification testing, field quality, advanced driver assistance systems, passive safety crash & sled testing, or seat design.
- Support Chassis Engineering team in bringing systems from concept to production and beyond.
- Support Thermal Engineering in the implementation of thermal models and numerical solvers from scratch, pushing the limits of heat
- Support Body Structure Engineering design and optimize body systems on current and future vehicle programs.
- Assist in the development and design of assembly and manufacturing processes.
- Support Interiors Engineering in concept creation, production, tooling, manufacturing, validation and testing, launch and ramp of all interior components.
- Support the Exteriors Engineering team with direct involvement in designing, releasing and launching components for future vehicle lines including, but not limited to Front & Rear Fascia Assemblies, Wheel Liners, Underhood and Underbody Trim
Specific project assignments and required technical aptitude will vary:
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program.
- Strong background in technical concepts, production and manufacturing processes, and part and assembly design.
- Experience with high-precision data acquisition and test equipment.
- Familiarity with various manufacturing equipment.
- Experience with CAD modeling.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to learn concepts quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results on difficult projects with tight deadlines.
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred.