Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around May or June 2021 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e. through August or September) or into early Fall 2021 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships.
Please consider availability before submitting an application.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
Service Engineering exists uniquely at the intersection of firmware/hardware design, service, diagnostics, manufacturing, quality, and reliability. Service Engineering multiplies efforts of service in the areas of diagnostics, repairs, and maintenance, while simultaneously reducing the need for each. As Service Engineering Technical Writer, you will partner with engineering teams to create and refine diagnostic procedures and documentation for use by non-engineers. You will improve editorial and visual standards for documentation and recommend new designs, layouts, and formatting as needed.
- Create and update diagnostic information and procedures contained in the diagnostics database.
- Collaborate with various engineering and quality teams to gather technical information.
- Understand technical problems and communicate them effectively to non-technical people.
- Validate information for accuracy, and use a routing and review process for document approval.
- Are organized, detail-oriented, and can multi-task well.
- Edit content according to a style guide and enforce organization standards.
- Manage tasks and information flow using collaboration software (such as JIRA, Wrike, SharePoint, Quickbase, and custom databases).
- Ability to edit and create documentation that is accurate, complete, clear, specific, and as concise as possible.
- Ability to explain technical concepts to peers, people from different parts of the organization, and non-technical people.
- Aptitude with transcribing written words from non-native speakers.
- Impeccable written and verbal communication.
- Experience with various communications media and advanced formatting and presentation skills.
- Can extract and comprehend system operation from typical engineering documentation from both a software and mechanical perspective (e.g. schematics and subsystem specification documents).
- High level of interpersonal communication skills.
- Proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- Positive attitude toward change and inevitable mid-project course corrections.
- Strong capacity for both logical and creative thinking.
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, able to multi-task, and evaluate priorities.
- Self-directed and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Markup language experience (such as HTML, XML, DITA XML, or SGML) is a plus.