Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around May or June 2021 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e. through August or September) or into early Fall 2021 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships.
Please consider availability before submitting an application.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
Tesla’s Systems Integration Team is seeking an intern who will be responsible for ensuring firmware support for new vehicle features and new hardware are designed, implemented and tested to achieve Tesla’s standards for safety and customer experience.
The intern is expected to move projects along at an aggressive pace – keeping track of program milestones and deliverables and pulling together the contributions of many teams into a cohesive final product. Our intern is also expected to get their hands dirty in the details of their sub-systems – digging through source code, root causing issues and proposing solutions to complex problems, as well as testing prototype firmware implementations in-vehicle.
The Integration Engineering intern is at the center of the iterative firmware development process and has a broad range of responsibilities.
What to Expect
- Bring-up and debug complex systems involving networked microprocessors and software-controller electrical and electrical-mechanical devices for Tesla’s prototype vehicles.
- Understand and debug interfaces/interactions required for successful implementation of vehicle level firmware.
- Support new firmware and hardware integration into Tesla’s prototype vehicles by carrying out functional verification of new components and/or features.
- Work with the cross-discipline development and design engineers throughout the engineering organization to ensure the relevant subsystems are designed with appropriate requirements, interfaces and interactions to achieve specific vehicle functions.
- Report and track issues with software and/or hardware releases.
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program such as Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Experience scripting in Python, SQL, MATLAB, and writing software for electromechanical systems in C/C++.
- Experience with electronic circuits and analysis, testing, and debugging microcontroller / embedded / electromechanical projects.
- Hands-on technical experience debugging complex systems involving networked microprocessors, communication interfaces like CAN, and software-controlled electrical or electromechanical devices.
- Understanding of hardware and software development processes.
- Exceptional capacity for managing simultaneous activities and challenges.
- Creative capacity for developing new ways to integrate complex system better and faster in alignment with the aggressive Tesla approach to revolutionary product development.
- Eager to work in an aggressive start-up like company environment with great opportunities for growth and spectacular achievement