Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around May or June 2021 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e. through August or September) or into early Fall 2021 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships.
Please consider availability before submitting an application.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the team
The Energy Optimization team develops and maintains the high-level control systems for Megapacks, Powerwalls, Virtual Power Plants, and microgrids. Our systems continuously forecast solar production, energy demand and prices, and then determine optimal control strategies and dispatch energy in real-time. We have repeatedly demonstrated success in residential, commercial, and utility-scale settings.
What to expect
Your projects may include new control strategies, the extension of our products to new applications and markets, or infrastructural initiatives necessary to support hundreds of gigawatt-hours around the globe. Depending on your focus area, you may contribute to embedded control systems, cloud control systems, or to offline training platforms.
You will be expected to learn fast, assume ownership of your projects, and make sustained contributions to our systems.
- Currently working towards an advanced degree in a relevant program such as Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Personal or academic projects that demonstrate your ability to address complex problems with simple solutions
- Excellence in a couple of languages (we mostly use Scala and Python) and proficiency in others
- Complete comfort in a Linux environment and with Git
- A strong predilection for good software and the processes that make it
- Excellent problem solving and communication
- A passion for sustainable energy
- Nice to have: experience with containerization and orchestration, AWS, continuous integration and deployment, configuration control, monitoring and alerting
- Nice to have: experience with machine learning (especially time-series forecasting) and advanced numerical methods (e.g. linear optimization, distributed control)
- Nice to have: experience modeling physical systems and/or markets
- Nice to have: experience with IoT platforms