Internships are a key part of emerging professionals experience during or just following post-
secondary education. TerraSite, Inc. approaches internships as part of a mentor-protégé
relationship and is committed to making internships as diverse as possible; exposing our
interns to many facets and tasks of the profession.
Internships will typically be completed during breaks in university education and will be 30-40
hours per week. Interns are expected to arrive at typical work day start and will be assigned to
a professional or professionals during their 2-3 month stay. Interns can expect to complete
various tasks and efforts during a typical work day. Some examples of expected assignments
are as follows (all under guidance of mentor).
- Preparing calculations and summaries of design elements.
- Researching requirements, jurisdictional alignment, products, or methods.
- Drafting using Computer Aided Design or other software.
- Report writing.
- Editing specifications.
- Quantity take offs and project estimation.
- Color or other type of project rendering.
- Site visits to observe pre-design conditions and photo documentation.
- Construction observation and report writing.
- Other tasks as assigned by professionals.
Interns will be expected to dress in a presentable way (business casual) when conditions
require. Some Personal Protection Equipment will be utilized by intern and will be required to
be worn during appropriate times (hardhat, eye protection, safety vest).
Some travel may be required the work week. Interns may need to drive company vehicle or
personal vehicle and a driver’s license and acceptable driving record are preferred. Other
specific requirements may be part of work day and will be negotiated as need arises.