Junior ILP 2021 – Instructor Role (Focal topic: Evolution and Genetics)
STEMed Labs is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Austin, TX dedicated to improving educational opportunities in our communities. Our goal is to serve as an incubator for novel, cross-disciplinary approaches to STEM education. We partner with schools, teachers, parents, and industry to build a sustainable, grassroots model of delivering innovation in education.
The Junior ILP (Innovation Learning Pathways) program is a science enrichment program for children aged 7-13. The program consists of mini-courses designed around STEM topics. Each mini course includes eight classes providing in-depth exploration of different aspects of the focal topic. Classes are given once a week on Thursdays and last one and a half hours. You can learn more at: http://www.stemedlabs.org/stemtastics/junior-ilp/.
You are a college/graduate student with a passion for STEM and are interested in developing innovative ways to teach STEM topics. You love to engage children in hands-on learning and to help children to apply their knowledge to new situations. You feel that education should be more about learning to think than learning information.
The Junior ILP Instructor is responsible for organizing and managing classes, designing units, curriculum development and ensuring that classes run smoothly. The instructor must be available to attend all classes.
Areas of responsibility:
● Spend time organizing units and learning about the focal topics. In this particular course, students will discuss Darwinian evolution, adaptation and natural selection; genotype versus phenotype; create phylogenetic trees; understand genetic drift and gene flow; epigenetics
● Lead Socratic discussions on the focal topic
● Consider ways to make complex STEM topics accessible to children
● Develop age-appropriate curriculum
● Be available to answer student and parent questions during out-of-class times via e-mail
● Post curriculum as open source resources for other educators
● Coordinate with other STEMed Labs programs to create continuity across age groups
● Have experience teaching elementary- and middle school-aged students (a degree in a STEM-subject strongly preferred)
● Work closely with STEMed Labs team and Junior ILP Program Coordinator
● Upon acceptance candidate will need to complete a background check prior to working with students
Job Type: Part-time
Contact: Amanda Nathuji (email@example.com)