Instructor Role (Problem Solving with Math)
STEMed Labs is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Austin, TX dedicated to improving educational opportunities in our communities. Our goal is to serve as an incubator for novel, cross-disciplinary approaches to STEM education. We partner with schools, teachers, parents, and industry to build a sustainable, grassroots model of delivering innovation in education.
You are a college/graduate student with a passion for STEM and are interested in developing innovative ways to teach STEM topics. You love to engage children in hands-on learning and to help children to apply their knowledge to new situations. You feel that education should be more about learning to think than learning information.
The Instructor is responsible for organizing and managing classes, designing units, curriculum development and ensuring that classes run smoothly. The instructor must be available to virtually attend all classes.
Areas of responsibility:
- Spend time organizing units and learning about the focal topics. In this particular course, students will collaborate to solve challenging problems or logic puzzles. Some topics include learning alternate number bases, converting fractions, using least common multiple and greatest common denominator, and solving bridge- or river-crossing problems.
- Lead Socratic discussions on the focal topic
- Consider ways to make complex STEM topics accessible to children
- Develop age-appropriate curriculum (this course is targeted at elementary-aged students)
- Be available to answer student and parent questions during out-of-class times via e-mail
- Post curriculum as open source resources for other educators
- Coordinate with other STEMed Labs programs to create continuity across age groups
- Have experience teaching elementary- or middle school-aged students (a degree in a STEM-subject strongly preferred)
- Work closely with STEMed Labs team and Program Coordinator
- Upon acceptance candidate will need to complete a background check prior to working with students
Job Type: Part-time
Contact: Amanda Nathuji (firstname.lastname@example.org)