Stanley Consultants is currently hiring for a Structural Engineer-In-Training for our Des Moines office. In this entry-level position you will support our clients by providing technical expertise in design, calculations, drawing preparation, and field reviews on transportation structural projects throughout Iowa and the Midwest. Projects will include the design of new and rehabilitation of bridges, retaining walls, culverts, and other structures. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic and willing to learn with a committed interest in transportation structures.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of data from reports, maps, drawings, tests, and aerial photographs to plan and design projects.
- Assist in determining client requirements and developing reports, calculations, specifications, drawings, instructions, and related documents.
- Prepare and check design computations and quantity estimates.
- Use structural engineering software to perform computer assisted structural analysis.
- Use Microstation CAD software to prepare drawings, sketches, and displays.
- Perform quality control checks on calculations, drawings, and other contract documents.
- Assist in the preparation of cost estimates, construction schedules, and environmental studies for projects .
- Consult with construction personnel concerning design constructability as related to field conditions, sequencing, and scheduling of construction activities.
- Coordinate with other transportation disciplines with structure layouts and details.
- Assist in field evaluations of existing structures.
- Visit active construction sites to monitor construction and document progress.
- Must possess a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering with a structural engineering emphasis preferred.
- Must possess Engineer Intern (EI) certification/license.
- Possess a minimum of 0 to 4 years of relevant experience with structures.
- Previous experience delivering projects for the Iowa DOT Bridges and Structures Bureau is preferred, but not required.
- Previous experience with Microstation (or AutoCAD) is preferred, but not required.
- Previous experience with structural engineering software is preferred, but not required.
- Must possess great communication skills to develop productive working relationships with other team members.
- Requires organization skills to perform tasks on multiple projects at a given time.