First of all, don’t have a ton of automotive knowledge? No worries. We already have people to dyno engines, tune shocks and build awesome cars. We’re searching for interns to join our engineering team to build highly scalable and modern technology that supports millions of customer interactions.
Sure, it’s a plus if you are into cars and there’s a learning curve. But if you’re the right fit, you’ll figure it out pretty fast, right? So, future engineer, we’ve got a few questions for you.
- Does the thought of shipping code to production on your first day excite you?
- Do you want to work on a modern technology stack that powers consumer facing platforms at a scale of millions of transactions?
- Do you enjoy rapidly experimenting with ideas from real customer feedback and quickly seeing the results of your work?
- Do you want to work in a modern product development environment, fully embedded in a cross-functional team that has autonomy to drive business outcomes?
- Does the thought of being given challenging problems that have high impact and being mentored by senior technical leaders intrigue to you?
If you answered with a resounding, ‘YES!’, we want to talk because you could be the perfect fit for joining our team.
Our engineering interns are considered full-fledged members of our development teams and contribute to creating great customer experiences for Speedway Motors customers. Day to day, you’ll closely working with our teams developing and learning about topics such as: when to build microservices, why would GraphQL be a possible option, and how to build a single page, react application with performance in mind. We’re constantly monitoring the health and performance of our applications and figuring out new ways of working to deliver value to our customers faster and safer.
Our team is fully cross-functional and, with all of the key functions of a team working together, which you’ll have the opportunity to learn from – Engineering, Product, UX Product Design, QA, Project, DevOps, and Data Science.
How you would expect to work with our team:
- Participate in the designing, coding, and debugging of multiple software applications in various software languages.
- We practice business agility, not Capital ‘A’ Agile. It’s common to find your team Pair or Mob programming to attack a challenging problem together.
- Principles we find effective in working together are drawn from Modern Agile: Delivery Value Continuously, Experiment and Learn Rapidly, Make our Users Awesome, and Safety as a Prerequisite
- We deploy often (like multiple times per day) and have the systems in place to make that as safe as possible.
- We practice trunk-based development and use automated testing and builds. We’re not quite fully CI/CD, but we’re damn close.
- Contributing to our component library and design system, Clutch.
- Partner with Design, Product Management and Engineering leads, as well as other stakeholders to deliver effective solutions that deliver measurable, positive results towards company goals.
Sound like some responsibilities you’d like to shoulder? Wake up excited for? Excel at? Get in touch. We can’t wait to meet you.
Skills and Qualifications
- You are available at least 20 hours per week (PT Fall & Spring interns)
- You are available at least 40 hours per week (FT Summer interns)
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills
- You have exceptional reasoning and analytical skills
- You bring positivity to our team daily and supports everyone’s efforts to be successful
- Having experience with any of the following development tools/techniques is helpful: MS Visual Studio, Source control (git), Bug/Issue tracking (JIRA), MS SSMS, Toad for MySQL, AWS, Eclipse; Testing technologies like Postman, Jest, and Selenium