*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Job ID: 14828
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Planning and Engineering
Salary: $25.37 – $33.58 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 – E3
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/.
This position identifies and develops projects through analysis of potential needs related to highway safety, all aspects of road and bridge conditions and highway capacity. The incumbent’s responsibilities are tightly related to South Dakota Department of Transportation (SDDOT) mission to efficiently provide a safe and effective public transportation system. Project management responsibilities entail supporting development of project scope which includes the definition of project purpose and need, design parameters, resource requirements, project schedule, cost estimates, and communication needs necessary to address a wide variety of highway transportation related maintenance and construction needs.
Duties include but are not limited to developing, documenting and reviewing data about traffic, pavement, structures, safety, materials and other highway related information compiled from a variety of resources in the progression of the scoping process on assigned projects; analyzing, prioritizing and combining needs into feasible projects; cost estimating used in development of multiple project alternatives and conducting benefit/cost analyses on options; and recommending priorities for project development in appropriate fiscal years based on efficiency, effectiveness, and economical advantage.
Qualifications of the successful applicant will determine the engineering classification level assigned. Salary will be set depending on qualifications.
Licenses and Certifications:
Currently have a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering OR graduate in December 2020 with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering for entry-level position.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field will be considered. 3-5 years of transportation engineering experience is preferred. Applicants possessing, or are eligible to obtain, a Professional Engineering license are desired.
- data analysis and planning;
- principles, theories and practices of Civil Engineering;
- engineering economics and business practices;
- highway design and construction methods, processes and sequences (preferred but not required).
- access, operate and maintain various software applications;
- read and interpret construction plans, right-of-way plats, and regulatory documents;
- provide technical information and interpretation to permitting agencies, consultants, contractors, the public and other SDDOT staff;
- work cooperatively in a team atmosphere;
- lead a team of technical experts through the process of solving complex transportation engineering related problems.
- interpret, apply, and revise department policies and processes;
- create an environment that fosters high ethical standards;
- manage day-to-day responsibilities in a manner that instills public trust;
- use vision, creativity, reasoning, and experience to reach conclusions and make effective decisions;
- anticipate and meet the needs of customers by delivering and continuously improving quality services;
- develop networks and use them to strengthen internal and external support;
- keep current with development in own field or expertise and apply this knowledge to effectively manage resources;
- demonstrate self-confidence and take action when needed;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- listen attentively to others and clearly convey information and ideas;
- treat customers courteously and be responsive to their needs;
- actively seek, collect, and evaluate information to learn more about issues or events;
- set priorities, schedule activities, acquire resources, and monitor progress to ensure the successful completion of projects and assignments;
- work to build and maintain friendly relationships with people who can, or might someday be able to, provide information, assistance, or support.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply by clicking on the green “Apply Externally” button.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”