Job ID: 14906
Agency: Department of Health – Division of Finance
Salary: $61,074 – $70,470 annually, depending on experience
Closing Date: 10/28/2020
The South Dakota Department of Health’s programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live, work and play; provide education to help people make good health decisions; prepare for, respond to, and prevent public health threats; and support efforts to enhance quality and accessibility of healthcare. Our services touch the lives of every person in the state of South Dakota.
We recognize that employees are our most valuable resource and we are committed to promoting a culture of excellence in DOH. We trust our employees to be innovative, challenge existing processes, and make the best decisions. We are interested in employing a diverse and skilled workforce that exhibits the values of leadership, accountability, communication, integrity, and teamwork. Public health is a diverse and growing field that offers many career options for people from a variety of educational backgrounds. Imagine yourself as part of a winning team that is making the lives of South Dakotans healthier and safer.
Please visit our website at http://doh.sd.gov/ for further information about the Department of Health.
The South Dakota Department of Health helps every South Dakotan be healthy and strong. We do this through providing core public health services in every county in the state. Consider joining our team of highly dedicated professionals if these guiding principles speak to you:
- serve with integrity and respect;
- focus on evidence-based prevention and outcomes;
- support data-driven innovation;
- achieve health equity in all communities;
- demonstrate proactive leadership and strengthen partnerships;
- exhibit transparency and accountability.
Our staff are the foundation of our Department. As a member of the Department’s Division of Finance, you will assist programs to provide cost effective and accountable services and be part of a team with a family-friendly employer.
This position reports to the Department’s Director of Finance and
- directs and coordinates the preparation of the Department of Health’s budget and management of funds through the year through closeout;
- makes budget recommendations and serves as a technical resource to Department Administrators;
- oversees contract process, update department templates, conduct department wide training;
- completes federal indirect cost report and monthly draws;
- provides oversight of agency-wide internal controls;
- oversees the federal sub-recipient and recipient process;
- provides information and guidance to all staff through newsletter items, staff trainings and assistance;
- will also conduct special projects.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or economics, with preferred 3-5 years of progressive financial experience. The ideal candidate will also have:
- demonstrated experience in the finance sector;
- exceptional communication skills;
- problem solving attitude;
- ability to innovate;
- be a self starter for taking initiative;
- experience as a team leader.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- accounting, budget and audit principles;
- ability to direct revenue and expenditure analysis including in-depth financial, trend and economic analysis;
- ability to analyze financial information and documents;
- ability to lead process improvement and quality assurance measures;
- ability to work collaboratively with a variety of groups on fiscal and policy issues;
- ability to clearly present complex information to various groups;
- supervision of staff.
Additional Requirements: To be considered, attach a resume or curriculum vitae with your application.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”