The US Corporate Bank (USCB) works with multinational clients headquartered in the U.S. to support their growing business needs. We leverage our network of relationships across the globe and our model is cross-functional, so our customers deal with one Relationship Manager for corporate loans and to access SMBC’s full range of products and services across the capital structure. USCB teams include: Media and Telecom; Technology; Health Care; Automotive, Transportation & Mobility; Oil and Gas; Utilities and Power; Diversified Industrials; Consumer and Retail; Real Estate, Leisure and Gaming. Within USCB, the Lending Management Group (LMG) is responsible for end to end deal execution and portfolio management. We are seeking highly motivated candidates with requisite experience and qualifications for an analyst position within LMG.
Who We Are
Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc. (SMFG) is the holding company of SMBC Group, which is one of the three largest banking groups in Japan. In the Americas, we are more than 3,000 employees strong with a presence in the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Peru. Built upon a foundation that leverages the perspective of more than 400 years of history, our Japanese heritage affirms a sense of honor and commitment that is increasingly rare in the financial world. Our deeply held values of service, respect, and integrity are present in everything we do. Backed by the capital strength of SMBC Group and the value of its relationships in Asia, we offer a range of commercial and investment banking services to our corporate, institutional, and municipal clients. We connect a diverse client base to local markets and the organization’s extensive global network.
As we continue to grow our presence in the Americas, SMBC is looking for talent to support our business goals. We encourage ongoing professional development and the success of our employees as SMBC continues to service its clients around the globe.
At SMBC, we connect the diversity of our employees to the resilience of our firm. We strongly encourage an inclusive environment so that our staff can be their authentic selves and fully thrive in their roles. It is our belief that diversity is not only about demographic differences but also of thought, knowledge, skills, and culture. The acceptance of such diversity strengthens each one of us and is essential to the success of our firm. We are deeply committed to attracting and retaining a high-performing, talented, and diverse workforce.
We are a market leader. The evolution of SMBC’s products and services is driven by the ever-changing needs of companies across the globe in every industry sector. SMBC takes market-leading positions and has been consistently recognized in the banking industry for providing outstanding financial services.
Our corporate relationships are built on trust. To successfully navigate an uncertain economy while also capitalizing on the opportunities that rise, clients count on SMBC to take a long-term view that emphasizes stability and attention to the numbers. This approach has served our clients well.
Our competitive advantage:
- A strong client base with broad coverage of the Fortune 500
- Worldwide operations enable us to provide clients with global solutions, make SMBC the leading choice for US businesses expanding in Asia
- A solid balance sheet and conservative approach
What is the Opportunity?
Our full-time Analyst Program helps to prepare talented individuals for an engaging and rewarding career at SMBC. It commences with five weeks of coursework, which lays a solid foundation in financial analysis, our processes, and professional development. After completing the program, the analyst will move into the following business area:
- US Corporate Banking – Lending Management Group – Oil and Gas
Our Analyst Program is an investment in our people.
How Our Program Works
Our full-time Analyst Program is designed for students who completed their undergraduate degree.
The five weeks of training includes:
- Latest industry practices and thought leadership – We invite distinguished internal and external experts to conduct training sessions on critical topics
- Credit and Financial Modelling, Financial Markets eLearning, Capital Markets, Accounting, Business Overviews (presented by panels of experts from our businesses) and Case Studies
- Business Writing, Presentation Skills, Managing Your Career, Personal and SMBC Branding, Japanese Cultural Training, and various networking events
- Buddy assignments to support fluid integration into the Analyst Program
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree from an accredited university with a graduation date of December 2020 or May 2021; excellent academic record
- 3.2 GPA or higher
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with a specific ability to communicate concepts and ideas concisely and defend their validity
- Financial accounting skills with an ability to read and interpret financial statements
- Experience with filtering and processing large amounts of information under time pressure, including company earnings, SEC filings, and legal documents
- Outstanding ethics, integrity, and judgment
- Intellectual curiosity
- Strong interest in fundamental credit analysis
- Comfortable in, and committed to, a collaborative working environment
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-driven, and motivated
- Superior Excel and PowerPoint skills and the ability to quickly learn new software applications
- Knowledge of banking and prior internships at a bank or financial institution are preferred