This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Our team is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Appointee that is passionate about quantum computing. Are you driven by the prospect of better understanding the power and limitations of quantum computing and crafting novel approaches for realizing quantum advantages? If you are seeking an opportunity to work under the mentorship of and in collaboration with accomplished specialists in quantum information science, check us out!
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Design quantum or quantum-inspired classical algorithms for discrete optimization, machine learning, simulation, and other application areas
- Perform detailed analysis on the performance of quantum and classical algorithms, with the goal of identifying quantum advantages
- Contribute in a stimulating interdisciplinary environment with computer scientists, physicists, and mathematicians to develop theoretical and practical approaches for addressing real-world problems
- Publish results in relevant journals and present at conferences
Qualifications We Require
- PhD in physics, computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering or related field and possess a bachelor’s in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM).
- Experience with quantum information science or theoretical computer science.
- Good interpersonal skills as evidenced by a history of publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations at appropriate scientific conferences
- Able to acquire and maintain a DOE security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Some exposure to quantum algorithm design, quantum optimization, quantum complexity theory, or broader quantum information theory
- Experience with programming language such as C/C++ or Python
- Desire to work in a collaborative environment and interested in interdisciplinary research
- Experience making and delivering effective technical presentations
About Our Team
Sandia’s Quantum Algorithms for Optimization and Learning and Simulation (QOALAS) and Fundamental Algorithms for Quantum Computing (FAR-QC) are DOE-funded efforts to develop new quantum algorithms for optimization, machine learning, and quantum simulation. These projects bring together a diverse team of quantum information and computer science specialists from Argonne Lab, Berkeley Lab, Caltech, Dartmouth, Los Alamos Lab, Microsoft, Oak Ridge Lab, University of Maryland, and University of Southern California. More information is available at https://www.sandia.gov/far-qc.
More broadly, the Discrete Math and Optimization Department conducts state-of-the-art research and develops mathematics and computing in support of Sandia missions. Principal areas of focus include graph algorithms, parallel computing, combinatorial optimization, integer programming, and quantum and neuromorphic algorithms. Our team delivers creative enabling technologies and software tools. The department works on a wide variety of application areas including energy systems, scientific computing, systems software, logistics, and quantum algorithms.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia’s discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.