What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a Summer – R&D Graduate Intern to join the dynamic ICBM Reentry System Department and W78/Mk12A Weapon Stockpile System Programs.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Provide technical support
- Test planning and execution
- High level problem solving
- Engineering drawing creation
- Critical thinking
- Work with other technical experts in a team environment.
Qualifications We Require
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor’s degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Note: If you have not yet started your graduate program, please apply to an undergraduate intern position.
Qualifications We Desire
- Graduate student studying Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, Material Science, or a closely related technical field.
- Experience in drafting and design, program / project management discipline and tools, test and evaluation, product realization, knowledge in Systems Engineering.
- Ability to obtain and hold a DOE Q clearance.
About Our Team
The New Mexico Stockpile Systems Engineering Group, including ICBM Reentry System Department & W78/Mk12A Weapon Program is a key element of Sandia National Laboratories’ mission is to support the Nation’s nuclear deterrence policy by ensuring that the nuclear weapon stockpile is known, with increasing certainty, to be safe and reliable. The stockpile must also be affordable to the Nation.
Group 2220 contributes to National Security by assuring the deterrence provided by the B61, W76-0, W76-1, W78, and W88 Weapon Systems are assured to meet their requirements with a documented and continuously improving technical basis. We also assure our operations are conducted with excellence in terms of quality, safety and security. We provide support for Pantex operations, the Kansas City National Security Campus, and US/UK Trident cooperative efforts.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.