What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a Summer – R&D Graduate Intern to join our dynamic team Summer of 2021!
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Assist staff members in structural dynamics, vibration, acoustics, nondestructive evaluation, shock or solid mechanics testing
- Process data or script processes using various software systems, including MatLab, Python, LabView, SolidWorks, etc.
- Research current state of the art in these fields utilizing scientific literature
- Plan and design experiments, write reports in PowerPoint or Word
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Qualifications We Require
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor’s degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Note: If you have not yet started your graduate program, please apply to an undergraduate intern position.
Qualifications We Desire
- Pursuing a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Materials Science or closely related field
- Prior experience in experimental structural dynamics, acoustics, solid mechanics, or additionally nondestructive evaluation
- GPA greater than 3.5 preferred.
About Our Team
The Experimental Mechanics, Non-destructive Evaluation & Model Validation Department (01522) is part of the Engineering Sciences Center at Sandia National Laboratories. Our center is the steward of engineering mechanics for Sandia and we are dedicated to solving our customer?s most pressing and important national security problems. Our department specializes in experimental technologies related to structural mechanics, structural dynamics and non-destructive evaluation. With our state of the art experimental technologies, technical expertise, and analytical capabilities in sister departments, we provide integrated customer solutions in the following areas: accurate characterization of structural response of systems to force and pressure environments, development and application of state-of-the-art radiographic and acoustic diagnostics, structural dynamics testing including modal analysis and vibration characterization, and design expertise for fixturing and development of experimental configurations. Our mission is to support fundamental research, development, model validation, qualification and acceptance for nuclear weapons, satellites, national missile defense, and other applications.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.