This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team that solves significant issues and challenges for our nation’s security!
We are seeking a motivated Computer Scientist to design, implement, test, and deploy innovative software frameworks and data processing architectures for embedded flight and ground systems. Our work is incorporated into complex real-time decision support systems for remote sensing and other data acquisition, and analysis applications. The work performed in our group, encompasses a wide variety of topics within computer science and software development, to include:
- Embedded systems
- Real-time data processing
- Object-oriented software frameworks/architecture development
- Networked and distributed architectures
- Testing and validation frameworks
On any given day the selected applicant may be called on to:
- Assume responsibilities for the research, development, and engineering of unique software solutions to tackle complicated technical problems
- Assist in improving national security by engaging in areas that could include: Intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; hypersonic vehicles; integrated defense systems; Radar, RF, and optical systems; remote sensing; satellite systems
Qualifications We Require
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or related field; OR BS degree in the stated fields plus 4 years’ experience
- Experience with object-oriented software design and development (e.g. C++)
- Can obtain a DOE Q clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Proven software development skills and familiarity with modern software development methodologies, practices, and tools
- Web application development in Java and/or C#
- Proficiency using IBM Rational Rhapsody, modeling environment based on UML
- Experience targeting embedded processors in FPGAs
- Experience developing in Unix/Linux operating environments
- Proven experience in scientific/engineering data processing software development
- Experience in real-time processing of sensor data
- Current DOE Q-level clearance
About Our Team
We are responsible for developing software and hardware solutions to complex engineering and science problems throughout the Satellite/Monitoring enterprise using industry standard practices and methodologies.
The team uses a variety of languages in developing our software applications including Java, C#, C++, PHP, JQuery, Go, PL/SQL, and PERL. We develop, host and administer our own databases which include Oracle, MySQL, Mongo and SQLServer.
We collaborate with other organizations (5321) responsible for embedded satellite systems, embedded flight systems, and embedded ground systems. These systems range from localized controller applications to high-end node-based computers serving as the heart of a satellite payload and consists of staff from the subject areas of electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, and electronics technology. These highly skilled staff members bring a quality emphasis to the creation of robust reliable embedded system designs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.