Build Your Future with RMI!
Full consideration will be given to applications received by January 20th, 2021.
We will not start the application review process until January. Due to the large number of applications received, it may take 8 weeks from the time we start reviewing to receive a response. We are working diligently and appreciate your patience.
Internships are 12 weeks in duration with the option to start mid-May or mid-June 2021.
If you have issues submitting your application or uploading your documents, please email email@example.com.
Internship Program Description
Rocky Mountain Institute offers an active, well-established internship program! Every summer our offices welcome a group of students to put their knowledge to work on various projects and energy related initiatives across the institute. We look for exceptional people with a variety of academic backgrounds from colleges and universities.
These internships are designed for students to become integrated into a project team, giving them an opportunity to apply their education in the workplace. The goal of our internship program is to create a mutually positive experience for intern and manager that ideally could lead to a full time offer within the organization after graduation. Our interns are pivotal in shaping the future of RMI.
Our interns work on a wide variety of projects, which are ever-changing as we continue to grow! You can read more about our work here on our website.
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking an entrepreneurial, motivated, creative-minded and media and social media-savvy intern to work on launching high-profile social media and media relations campaigns.
We are seeking an intern with a strong desire to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy and tackle climate change. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and the desire to work with a team in a collaborative, fast-paced environment. Interns will assist with daily operations such as social media marketing, social ad creative, social post copy, audience targeting, research, analyzing metrics, building media list, drafting media relations materials, pitching media, and liaising across 13 programs in the Buildings, Electricity, Transportation, Industry and Global Energy Transitions sectors.
This position is based remotely and reports to the Media Relations Manager.
- Support social media campaigns across 13 programs—write and produce clear and compelling digital content to a variety of audiences in support of diverse programs in electricity / renewable energy, aviation, shipping, trucking, personal mobility, building efficiency, islands, and our work in Africa, China, India and more.
- Schedule planned digital messaging across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other platforms.
- Complete weekly metrics reports on media and social media activity
- Using tools like Cision, SproutSocial, Google Analytics
- Set up meetings/interviews, capture action items, update status reports.
- Monitor social media and stay ahead of news events and media trends/conversations in key industries.
- Support reactive media requests from journalists for organizational information, commentary/interviews, spokespeople, and event participation.
- Support proactive media outreach
- Build relationships for RMI with influencers, media and bloggers on social media
- News monitoring
- Competitor monitoring, reporting and analysis on social media and traditional media
- Must be enrolled in a Bachelor’s program, ideally Sophomore and Junior applicants
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week, over 12 weeks throughout Summer 2021
- Digitally savvy; experience with B2B social media marketing experience is a plus
- Experience with the latest social media platforms as well as Google Analytics is a plus
- Excellent written communication skills
- Highly organized, meticulously attentive to detail, and good at multitasking
- Excellent initiative and follow-through
- Very creative, innovative, and a problem-solver
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal / collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- An intense drive for results and impact
- Eloquent and articulate, confident telephone manner and salesmanship style
- A newshound who lives and breathes daily news
- Interest and passion in renewable energy and climate change issues
- A fast learner, can take a complex idea/topic and can explain it in a simple, accessible and engaging way
- Self-starter, can take initiative
- Passion to change the way we use energy and tackle climate change
This is a paid marketing internship for 40 hours per week, over the course of 12 weeks. The intern will work remotely and communicate and collaborate with RMI staff virtually by email, phone and video conferencing software.
What will you walk away with?
- Learn the basics of B2B social media marketing and the use of digital tools for analyzing online data.
- Master content writing and ad / creative building to inform our diverse audience of C-suite leaders, businesses, NGOs, government, policymakers, researchers, engineers, journalists/media and more.
- Develop an eye for a sharp, relevant news angle in the energy & environment field.
- Learn how to craft nuanced pitches for key media outlets and sell in these stories to the press
- Work alongside our Marketing & Communications team to test and refine our social media and email platforms.
- Exposure to the organization of 260 clean energy-focused researchers, operations staff and senior leaders.
Interns will either be asked to work in the same office as their immediate supervisor if conditions are agreed to be safe by all parties or the internship will otherwise be offered remotely – details to be determined as more is known about the COVID-19 global pandemic. All our U.S.-based internships were successfully conducted remotely in Summer 2020.
Office locations: New York City; Oakland, CA
Each intern will be provided a stipend of $18.00 per hour (or equal to, dependent on academic funding participation).
- Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Be sure to answer why you are considering RMI for an internship in this document.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 260 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.