Build Your Future with RMI!
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Are you passionate about making the world a better place? If yes, then be an RMI intern this summer!!
Full consideration will be given to applications received by January 20th, 2021.
We will not start the application review process until January. Due to the large number of applications received, it may take 8 weeks from the time we start reviewing to receive a response. We are working diligently and appreciate your patience.
Internships are 11-12 weeks in duration with the option to start mid-May or mid-June 2021.
If you have issues submitting your application or uploading your documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internship Program Description:
Rocky Mountain Institute offers an active, well-established internship program! Every summer our offices welcome a group of students to put their knowledge to work on various projects and energy related initiatives across the institute. We look for exceptional people with a variety of academic backgrounds from colleges and universities around the world.
These internships are designed for students to become integrated into a project team, giving them an opportunity to apply their education in the workplace. The goal of our internship program is to create a mutually positive experience for intern and manager that ideally could lead to a full time offer within the organization after graduation. Our interns are pivotal in shaping the future of RMI.
Our interns work on a wide variety of projects, which are ever-changing as we continue to grow! You can read more about our work here on our website. You can expect to work on fast-paced real world analytical and research problems, including literature reviews, case study development, spreadsheet modeling, and stakeholder management.
You could be assigned to any of the following areas*:
Carbon-Free Electricity, Carbon-Free Buildings, Carbon-Free Mobility, Climate-Aligned Industries, Climate Intelligence, Breakthrough Technologies, Energy Transition Academy, Urban Transformation, China, India, US, or RMI: Africa, Southeast Asia and Islands.
Your project could include the following types of work:
Building on existing projects, providing core research, analyzing data and transforming into easily understandable summaries, informing business model designs and strategies, conducting interviews and engaging stakeholders, publishing findings, and creating briefing materials and participating in briefings with strategic stakeholders.
*Your program/team and project scope will be discussed throughout the interview process.
What you can expect to gain:
• Specific skills and knowledge related to a career in clean energy
• Valuable industry experience and the cultivation of professional contacts
• Work experience with a well-respected organization in the sustainable energy space
• A chance to hone practical, non-technical skills including:
o Working in cross-functional teams
o Effective communication and storytelling
o Project and time management
o Creative approaches to problem solving and analysis
o Independently driving and owning a work stream
o Presentation skills
o A chance to “test drive” a career with Rocky Mountain Institute
- Applicants should be pursuing a graduate or undergraduate degree in a related field and have basic knowledge of one or more of the teams’ focus areas—energy efficiency; renewable energy; demand-side management; building science and energy modeling; efficient and low carbon light duty cars and truck design; and transportation logistics.
- Where applicable, the applicant should be comfortable working with, or reporting on, numerical analysis and spreadsheet modeling, research and reporting.
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Intense curiosity
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
- Creativity and willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas
- Passion for making the world better
Interns will either be asked to work in the same office as their immediate supervisor if conditions are agreed to be safe by all parties or the internship will otherwise be offered remotely – details to be determined as more is known about the COVID-19 global pandemic. All our U.S.-based internships were successfully conducted remotely in Summer 2020.
Office locations: New York City; Washington, D.C.; Boulder or Basalt, Colorado; Beijing, China
** We will be staffing interns in Beijing. If you are interested in working on our China project in Beijing, please explicitly mention this on your cover letter.
Each intern will be provided a stipend of $18.00 per hour (or equal to, dependent on academic funding participation).
- Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Be sure to answer why you are considering RMI for an internship in this document.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 260 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.
JOB CODE: 1000240