Develop Your Future with RMI!
Do you love solving dynamic problems, thinking in numbers and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Are you passionate about making the world a better place? If yes, then be an RMI intern this summer!!
Full consideration will be given to applications received by January 25th, 2021.
We will not start the application review process until January. Due to the large number of applications received, it may take 8 weeks from the time we start reviewing to receive a response. We are working diligently and appreciate your patience.
Internships are 11-12 weeks in duration with the option to start on May 16th, 2022 or June 20th 2022.
If you have issues submitting your application or uploading your documents, please email email@example.com. You will receive an email shortly after you apply confirming your application has been received – this can go to spam, so please be sure to check there if it is missing.
Program Internship Descriptions:
You will be asked to select one program for primary consideration, and one program for secondary consideration out of the following areas; however, your application will be generally considered for all open internship positions on this posting. Initiatives and preliminary projects listed are subject to change. We will have in-person, remote, and hybrid opportunities, as well as full (40 hours/week) and part-time (~20 hours/week) options depending on the role. We have opportunities for both undergraduate or graduate students.
Carbon-Free Buildings (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Building Electrification
- Intern Focus: Equity & partnerships, building decarbonization, research utility transition and appliance standards, policy analysis, geothermal heating, energy cost analysis, and more.
- Open to all US locations
- Portfolio Energy Optimization
- Intern focus: Expand energy tool modeling software and support pilot projects, utilize computer programming skills.
- Boulder or remote
- Pathways to Zero
- Intern Focus: Research and analysis for embodied carbon and support the Frankenthaler Climate Initiative
- NY, Boulder, or remote
- Oakland or remote
Carbon-Free Electricity (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Business Models & Regulatory Design, eLab: Electricity Innovation Lab, Managing the Coal Capital Transition
- Intern Focuses: Transmission electrification impacts on the grid, global coal though leadership, financial modeling, in-country support, fossil fact base, demand response and more
- Any US locations or remote in US time zones
Carbon-Free Mobility (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Colorado offices or possibly Oakland
China Program (Beijing office, full and part-time opportunities)
- Energy Transition for Harder-to-Abate Sectors
- Support State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission to accelerate Chinese State Owned Enterprise’s decarbonization actions & work with China Hydrogen Alliance to support China building 100GW green hydrogen capacity by 2030
- Power Team
- Intern Focus: Monitor and analyze the clean power related policy in China and global. Pay close attention to the EV-Grid integration market.
- Subnational Decarbonization Demonstration
- Intern Focus: Decarbonize Supply Chain, clean heating, provincial carbon neutrality/transportation via research, analysis, & collaboration.
Climate-Aligned Industries (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Intern Focus: Green hydrogen for sector applications through supply chain analysis
- US locations or remote in EU or similar time zones
- Intern Focus: Sustainable Aviation Fuel demand signal work
- US locations or remote
Climate Finance Access Network (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Intern Focus: Research, literature reviews, and analysis, assist with workshops, social media management and strategy.
- NY, Boulder, or remote options
Climate Intelligence (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Oil & Gas Solutions
- OCI+ & Climate TRACE (data), Python & SQL coding experience required
- Flexible/remote location
- Refining & Petrochemicals
- Location: Boulder, NYC, or remote
- Supply Chains
- Intern Focus: Work alongside the Coalition on Materials Emissions Transparency to better define rules for eco label development in industrial supply chains.
- NY, CO, DC, Beijing location options
- Intern Focus: Work with partners in the Energy Web Foundation to design digital and distributed ledger systems to hold Greenhouse Gas information on assets and products in industrial supply chains.
- NY, CO, DC, Beijing location options
Energy Transition Academy (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Intern Focus: gather program learning resources, compile repository for templates, support creation of learning materials, assist in planning and strategy for climate leadership accelerator and events, partner with communications team.
- DC, Boulder, or remote locations
Global Climate Finance (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Center For Climate-Aligned Finance
- Intern Focus: Do research & analysis, write, practice finance, use Excel, PowerPoint, and present to support the Center.
- NY, DC, Boulder locations
Global South (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Africa Energy Program
- Flexible/remote location
- Islands Energy Program
- Intern Focus: Caribbean Islands, mini-grids, & distributed clean energy increasing energy system resilience.
- Flexible/remote location
India Program (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Passenger Mobility & Freight Transport
- Intern Focus: Communications & Social Media, research zero-emission trucks & financing instruments for electric vehicles
- Colorado offices or remote options
Strategic Analysis & Engagement Group (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Global Pathways or Ambition Accelerator
- Intern Focus: Collaborate with analysts, modelers, researchers, corporate sustainability representatives, and climate NGOs to develop and curate more accessible evidence and initiatives to support pathways for high-ambition emission reduction pathways.
- US offices preferred +/- 2 time zones from Mountain Time
- Portfolio Impact Accelerator
- Intern Focus: Corporate Engagement: SalesForce management, events support, corporate relationship research
- Any US location or remote
Third Derivative (Full and part-time opportunities)
- Intern Focuses: Research, marketing, partner outreach strategy, impact storytelling operations & business development
- Flexible/remote locations
Urban Transformation (40 hour/week opportunities)
- American Cities Climate Challenge Renewables Accelerator, Vehicle Miles Traveled Reduction, Texas, India Cooling
- Intern Focus: Housing, land use, transportation, low cost cooling strategies, model solar energy capacity of parking lots, statewide communication strategy for TX cities
US Program (40 hour/week opportunities)
- Beyond Carbon: State Ambition
- Intern Focus: Support states pass ambitious climate policy, developing policy solutions.
- DC, Boulder, or remote
- America Is All In
- Intern Focus: Support coalition coordination & engagement, analytical research, and/or subnational convenings
- NY, DC, or Boulder
- Intern Focus: Support states access federal resources, simulate energy policy development, analyze jobs and equity for State Ambition – use your Python & Tableau skills
- NY, DC, Boulder
- Federal Policy
Use separate posting to apply for Operations internships: Communications, Information Technology, and Program Services
- You should be pursuing a graduate or undergraduate degree in a related field and have basic knowledge of one or more of the teams’ focus areas—energy efficiency; renewable energy; demand-side management; building science and energy modeling; efficient and low carbon light duty cars and truck design; or transportation logistics.
- Where applicable, you should be comfortable working with, or reporting on, numerical analysis and spreadsheet modeling, research and reporting.
- Clear writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Intense curiosity
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
- Creativity and willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas
- Passion for making the world better
Interns will either be asked to work in the same office as your immediate supervisor if conditions are agreed to be safe by all parties or the internship will otherwise be offered remotely – details to be determined as more is known about the COVID-19 global pandemic. All our U.S.-based internships were successfully conducted remotely in Summer 2021.
Office locations: New York City, New York; Washington, D.C.; Oakland, California; Boulder or Basalt, Colorado; Beijing, China
** We will be staffing interns in Beijing. If you are interested in working on our China project in Beijing, please explicitly mention this on your cover letter.
Each intern will be paid $20.00 per hour (or equal to, dependent on academic funding participation).
- 403(b) Retirement Options
- Paid Company Holidays
- Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Be sure to answer why you are considering RMI for an internship in this document.
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut GHG emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.