Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Are you passionate about the clean energy tranition? If yes, then join our growing team!
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking Associates and Senior Associates (entry and mid-level research and collaboration positions) for our Electricity Program. RMIers bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds. We will carefully review each application to determine the appropriate starting position level (Associate or Senior Associate), and this will be communicated during the interview process.
Application deadline: April 21st, 2021
As an Associate or Senior Associate, you are a creative problem solver who uses your quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling research and assessment round vital energy issues. You will collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and clients.
As an RMI Associate, you will be an independent contributor and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff. You will develop expertise in the content area of your specific program within RMI and will provide subject-matter support on that topic to other RMIers.
Your key job responsibilities as an Associate primarily include:
- Conduct analytical research.
- Locate and make sense of data that allow RMI to shed new light on problems and devise creative solutions.
- Develop hypotheses to guide work and propose new ways to assess problems.
- Contribute to RMI teams through facilitating events and conversations with diverse electricity-sector stakeholders.
- Synthesize quantitative information and recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and on occasion, respond to outreach requests.
- Travel up to 25%, including possible international travel.
As a Senior Associate, in addition to the above responsibilities, you will also:
- Structure and guide the work of more junior team members.
- Contribute publicly at conferences, share expertise in response to media requests, discuss our work with donors, and direct RMI research collaborations.
Successful candidates will support the Electricity Program’s efforts to accelerate clean energy solutions in the United States electricity sector. Over time the role may evolve to encompass electricity system transformation both in the US and globally as well as exploring energy equity, environmental justice, and health impacts of energy usage. In our work, we collaborate with the entire electricity sector. With utilities and state regulators, we work to improve business models so that incentives are aligned with creating a just, clean energy future. With businesses, we develop and share solutions that bring clean energy technologies to the grid at scale. With influential early adopters, we help to experiment with and implement new, transformative solutions.
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil, energy), business (marketing, finance, international), economics, computer science, mathematics, architecture, physical and social sciences, OR undergraduate degree and 2-4 years of cumulative work experience and excellent work references.
- Ability to design, create, and run Excel-based models.
- Understanding of basic financial analysis and metrics (e.g., NPV, cash flows).
Global Energy Experience
- International work experience, particularly in China, India, Africa and Southeast Asia
- Fluent in written and spoken English and one or more languages (e.g. Mandarin, French, Spanish, Portuguese or others).
Data Science and Analytics
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms and data resources (e.g. AWS).
- Ability to design, create, and run complex models (e.g. MatLab, Python, R).
- Experience in consulting, project management, or other related fields.
- Experience working at a utility or related government agency.
- Experience or coursework focused on labor issues, economic development, international development as well as social and environmental justice challenges.
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations.
- Demonstrated initiative and accomplishment in previous work.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and communicate complex ideas.
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that these roles be located at one of our U.S. office locations. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
- The starting Associate level salary range is $68,000-$75,000 with a 5% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
- The starting Senior Associate level salary is $76,500-$85,000 with a 5% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 300+ works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.