Do you want a job that can change, grow, and evolve with you? Energized by the start-up mentality, but like the stability of a well-backed company? If you’ve tried to get approval on an insurance policy recently, you know it is a rigorous process. Why are some policies approved or denied and who makes those decisions? An underwriter is an important role that evaluates submissions and assesses risk to determine coverage eligibility.
When making decisions, do you like to research all the relevant facts and information available? Do you make a list of pros and cons to determine the best decision? Do you like going through a check-list and have a follow-up system to ensure everything is complete? Are you able to work quickly while also maintaining accuracy? Do you work independently, but also enjoy working with a team and have a high level of professionalism to interact with clients?
What you would do:
- Evaluate submissions to determine coverage eligibility with various insurance companies and solicit quotes from those carriers when appropriate.
- Underwrite and appropriately price accounts through an underwriting process including identification of risk exposures and evaluation of loss history.
- Interact with both retail insurance agents and primary insurance company personnel to help facilitate the placement of coverage.
- Analyze broker and carrier performance and report findings to the team/management.
- Take necessary measures to obtain information needed to finalize inquiries/ transactions and maintain a suspense and follow-up system for outstanding underwriting items.
- Routinely communicate with team members, agents/brokers and other key business partners on the phone and via email to gather necessary information to review, analyze and complete transactions.
- Utilize and adhere to internal guidelines, procedures and service standards to ensure that all assigned work/transactions are processed in a timely and accurate manner and meet compliance standards.
- Provide accurate underwriting documentation/information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
- Participate in special projects and other duties as assigned to assure efficient operation of the team, customer needs are met, and business results are achieved.
For this role, some familiarity with insurance is preferred, but not required as long as you have the ability to quickly learn and understand the execution of Underwriting Guidelines. An undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience in the insurance industry is preferred. To be successful in this role, you must be organized, detail and process oriented, have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, exercise good judgement, and be resourceful. You should be comfortable on the phone, answering questions with resources provided. You work well in a fast-paced, high volume environment, yet are flexible and able to reprioritize daily work to align with the needs of the company. You must be comfortable with technology and computers and proficient using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel).