Port Houston is a cornerstone of the region’s growth and has people who deliver exceptional results. We have created a work environment that attracts talented, driven people ready to continue our long tradition of excellence. We hold ourselves accountable to reach and exceed our goals and to continually improve everything we do. These are the core pillars, shared by the employees that make up Port Houston. They are what brings us together. They are the foundation of everything we do. How we meet our commitments and fulfill expectations will define our success.
Port Houston’s goal is to return to our internship program in Summer 2021 after a 2020 hiatus. We will only have Summer 2021 interns IF we return to fully normal operating circumstances with all employees on-site.
Intern, Financial Accounting
The Accounting Intern will directly assist the Accounting & Finance Team with a wide range of projects related to expense report auditing, account reconciliation, revenue processing, and business accounting.
This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. In this position, the intern will learn how to take skills he/she may have acquired in school related to his or her particular areas of interest, and apply them in a professional setting. He/she will gain a better understanding of the role that Finance can play in a global business setting, and be better prepared to work in the arena of Accounting & Finance, Financial Planning, or Credit.
· Assist with month-end financial reports
· Prepare ad-hoc reports for the department
· Help with accounts receivable, payable, and bank statement reconciliation
· Work with Accounting & Finance team on forecasting efforts
· Manage the monthly tracking of our physical inventory
· Support the payment processing team
· Perform data entry
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Students must be currently enrolled in and have already completed two semesters in an undergraduate or graduate degree program
o 2022/2023 graduation status preferred (junior/senior level)
o May 2021 graduates are not eligible unless enrolling in graduate program in Fall 2021
· Students must either attend a Houston area college/university or have a residence within a commutable distance
· Students must be in good academic standing to apply for an internship; a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.7 is preferred
· Students may not be related to any current Port of Houston Authority employee
· Students must be able to work throughout the established twelve-week (12) program dates
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrates strong organizational and analytical skills
· Demonstrates attention to detail
· Ability to multi-task
· Ability to prepare business cases and explain and/or support the recommended course of action
· Ability to self-manage work expectations
· Ability to work as an individual contributor and/or within a team
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to listen to business partners and understand their expectations and requirements
· Strong interpersonal and time management skills
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
· Willingness to learn
· Punctuality is key
When you take the first step with the Port Houston, you’ve taken the first step in the right direction in your new career path. Get READY!
- Paid internship
- Duration: tentatively May 24 – August 12, 2021
How to apply:
- Apply through our Careers page at www.porthouston.com
- All applications must include current resume