Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity available for a Title V and ACDP Permit Writer and Inspector (Natural Resource Specialist 4) located at DEQ’s Headquarters in Portland, Oregon.
DEQ has a centralized policy and planning component and regional offices to accomplish its mission. There are 3 regions (Northwest, Western, and Eastern); this position is in the Northwest Region. The Regions provide the following services: compliance inspection of regulated entities; enforcement of permit requirements and administrative rules; issuance of air, water, and solid waste permits; investigation of complaints; issuance of subsurface permits in counties; response to spills or other incidents with environmental impacts; direct contact and liaison with other governmental entities, industries, and the public; and technical assistance to regulated entities and the public.
What you will do!
You will draft highly complex Air Quality permits for industrial, commercial, and municipal air quality sources. You will rigorously analyze facility operations and applicable regulations to determine emission and pollution control, monitoring, and testing requirements for ongoing operations and new businesses. You will serve as a technical resource, providing technical and regulatory guidance, for internal and external stakeholders on air quality and emission control technologies and issues. Additionally, you will perform on-site compliance inspections where air quality expertise is necessary to fully understand the operation variability. Finally, you will recommend necessary enforcement options to the Northwest Region Air Quality Manager.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon’s environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree in a physical science, environmental science, or closely related field, AND 4 years of experience in a natural resource or environmental field (an equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable).
- At least 1 year of experience at a technical or professional level performing activities in a natural resource program such as researching and analyzing data, conducting investigations, applying pertinent laws and regulations, or coordinating and monitoring project activities.
- Expert knowledge in evaluating control technologies, discharge rates, and impacts for new and modified sources.
- Expert experience and knowledge in source operations, compliance inspection methods, and source permitting, including the ability to correctly interpret and implement NSPS, NSR/PSD, BACT, MACT, and other requirements and standards.
- Expert knowledge of Title V and ACDP industrial sources; experience drafting Title V and ACDP permits.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; skill in writing clear and concise reports describing complex industries and regulatory determinations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, many sectors of the public, and other natural resource agencies, including communicating technical information; professional level writing and presentation acumen.
- Ability to maintain Visible Emissions Certification.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
- External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
- Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 347-5759.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability, and is committed to workplace diversity.