Onslow County is seeking an Assistant County Manager to join our leadership team. The successful candidate will be an energetic, committed leader who is passionate about excellent government service and is a seasoned professional with significant experience in communications or community relations. This position must be committed to building long term working relationships with the Board of Commissioners, County Management team, County departments, local municipalities, public school system staff, media outlets and business vendors.
The Successful Candidate:
- A strong leader with a proven track record in innovative large governmental agency management.
- Knowledgeable of principles and practices of public administration to include planning; administration and supervision; and preparing and implementing proposals which affect the operations of County government.
- Has an excellent track record in establishing and maintaining working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders such as County staff, County Commissioners and other public officials, local Marine Corps constituents, local County schools , business and community leaders, and the general public through demonstrated personal community engagement.
- Is skilled in leading cross-functional teams using a collaborative, team-based style to resolve complex problems and capitalize on opportunities with creative solutions.
- Commits to the highest level of customer service and community collaboration by routinely seeking stakeholder input to effectively achieve County goals.
- Effectively cultivates an outstanding workforce through development and management of staff talent.
- Has a proven track record in developing and supporting staff to achieve excellence through increased training, responsibility, productivity, morale, and retention.
- Communicates excellently, both verbally and in writing, and possesses well-developed interpersonal skills and abilities.
- Will establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and governmental officials.
- Thrives in a culture of high-performance expectations and personal accountability.
- Has a track record of developing high departmental standards.
Performs difficult professional and responsible administrative work in planning, organizing, coordinating and directing the County’s communications, publications and public relations programs, and in providing key leadership as a member of the senior management team of the County. Work is performed under the general supervision of the County Manager. Organizational supervision is exercised over all communication functions, and at least four County departments that interface with the public.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks:
Planning, directing, supervising, and implementing the County’s communications and public relations programs and services. (These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Develops strategy for communicating the County’s message and implements that strategy by designing, producing, and developing documents and productions for County operations. Reviews all brochures, pamphlets and publications released to the public.
Serves as County Public Information Officer; works with local media and provides information to media about County activities.
- Creates media campaigns including news releases, brochures, special publications, web content, television and video production, signage, and public presentations.
- Assists the Board of Commissioners and County Management in achieving public awareness, informational goals and media relations.
- Directly oversees department heads as assigned; building a team that promotes leadership development, accountability, and effective operational execution within those departments.
- Promotes a high performing organization, seeking to engage employees at all levels in developing critical thinking, decision-making and leadership skills.
- Works with all County departments to meet their community information needs and to coordinate and unify the overall message from Onslow County.
- Participates in Board agenda development, budget development and monitoring, and developing strategies for organizational efficiency and effectiveness by identifying issues, analyzing recommendations, and coordinating implementation of policies and procedures.
- Provides advice and recommendations to the County Manager and other members of the executive leadership team on process improvement and development of the human and material resources of County government.
- Performs assigned functions as a Disaster Ready Team (DRT) member.
- Performs related tasks as required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Leadership experience and confidence to provide vision and direction to professional staff; comprehensive knowledge of modern principles, practices and techniques of professional communications; comprehensive knowledge of public information, public relations and public affairs principles and practices; thorough knowledge of local government departments, programs, services and plans; thorough knowledge of the methods, procedures and techniques of public information; ability to plan, develop and direct a comprehensive program of communications and public affairs; thorough knowledge of interviewing, writing, layout and editing techniques; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, County staff, media outlets, municipal partners, and the general public.
Baccalaureate degree with relevant course work; prefer four to eight years’ leadership experience in the management of a large governmental agency, or the combination of an advanced degree and notable experience; experience in public affairs or communications including experience in the development and implementation of informational documents or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in North Carolina local government preferred. The selected candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of North Carolina.
There is a residency requirement to relocate within County limits within 12 months.