The Orange County Riptide, a collegiate wood bat summer baseball team playing games at the Great Park in Irvine, California, seeks interns with strong knowledge and understanding of photography and photojournalism.
Please Note: Because this un-paid internship position will require your attendance at home games in Irvine, Calif., you will need to ensure you have housing available from June through early August. Summer interns attending college outside of the Orange County, Calif. area must make their own living arrangements for the summer. The OC Riptide can not provide housing for out-of-the-area interns.
Interns chosen for this position will need strong critical thinking skills, ability to work in a fast paced environment, take direction easily and quickly, willingness to work nights and weekends and have a passion for the sport of college baseball.
In lieu of compensation, academic credit is available for this internship. Because this position requires attendance at home games, (approximately 18-20 games spanning from June through early August) applicants are expected to work approximately five (5) hours per game. This includes pre-game, in-game and post-game capturing of photos and approximately an hour to photo editing, archiving images, uploading of images, etc.
The Orange County Riptide is looking for a qualified photographer to capture images of games, players and coaches and edit images for publication. All images will be the property of the Orange County Riptide. Interns may use images captured during this internship for their professional portfolio.
Ideal candidates will have their own photography equipment and experience in sports photography.
Duties for the Team Photographer will consist of, but not be limited to:
• Reports directly to the Director of Baseball Operations
• Work in conjunction with Sports Information and Social Media interns to distribute photos
• Capture photos of players, coaches, staff, fans at home games
• Find appropriate locations that are safe yet provide unique perspective during games
• Edit images post-game to be used in post-game reports and social media releases
• Understand the basics of baseball in order to capture timely and moving images
• Have above average knowledge of sports photography and fast motion photography
• Provide your own camera, memory cards and editing software
• Attend all home games
• Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, PaintShop Pro or other image editing software
• Photojournalism or Photography major
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to “make” photos, not just “take” photos
• Sports photography experience a plus