About This Job
If you’re looking to use strong analytical and math skills in a competitive, fast-paced environment, an Underwriting career in Group Benefit Solutions will allow you to do all this and more. Underwriters evaluate the risk of insuring a potential Group Benefit Solutions customer and use that information to set premium rates for insurance policies.
This 10-week program running from late May to early August will expose you to what life as an underwriter will be like and is a great way to assess whether the underwriting profession is a good fit for you. As part of our internship program, you will have a direct impact on the financial results of our business while helping us deliver on a longstanding commitment of providing financial protection and peace of mind to the millions we serve.
What You’ll Do
As an Underwriting Summer Intern with New York Life Group Benefits Solutions, you can expect to be involved in a variety of opportunities, including:
· Initial two week accelerated training session to learn the fundamentals of underwriting
· Routine speaker series hosted by New York Life leaders from a variety of Finance and Underwriting functions
· One-on-one mentorship with a local underwriter, engagement opportunities with senior management, and other networking opportunities
· Assess risk dynamics on real underwriting cases and contribute to Group Benefits Solutions sales goals and bottom line
· Collaborate with GBS interns from around the country on a summer long project that challenges your problem-solving, innovation, and collaboration skills
Where You’ll Work
The Underwriting Summer Internship position is located in the Overland Park, KS Underwriting hub. The Overland Park hub is located along I-435 on the south side of Kansas City, where it is an easy drive to all of KC’s best attractions, including Chiefs, Royals, Sporting KC stadiums, the Speedway, the Legends Outlets, Plaza shopping and the P&L Entertainment District. This hub was established 16 years ago and currently accounts for 30% of New York Life Group Benefit Solution’s underwriting team. We have a diverse group of talented individuals on our team with a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. Over the last eight years, we have continually grown our Overland Park team through on campus recruiting efforts at several Midwest universities, including both intern and full-time hiring.
To join our dynamic team as a Summer Intern, you should have:
· Completed 3 years towards a Bachelor’s degree (rising senior) in Finance, Business, Economics, Risk Management or related fields
· Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
· 3.0 GPA or higher preferred
· High comfort level with math/numbers
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Proficiency with Microsoft office software, especially Microsoft Word and Excel
· An interest in pursuing a career in underwriting
· Customer-centric mindset