A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It’s a career journey you can be proud of, and you’ll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation. It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
New York Life is one of the leading writers of individual life insurance in the U.S. In 1994, the company opened its direct marketing (‘Direct’) operation in Tampa, FL, which markets Group Life insurance products and Guaranteed Lifetime Immediate Income Annuities to AARP members.
New York Life Direct’s Internship program is a structured 12-week long program. You will have:
- Challenging assignments with practical, on-the job experience
- Projects that offer exposure to different actuarial roles
- Training sessions covering a range of subjects including actuarial topics, new products and actuarial software
- Opportunity to work with and meet NYL actuaries and senior management
- One-on-one meeting with NYL Direct’s Chief Actuary
- Mentorship program
- Prospect of securing a full-time position with New York Life after graduation
- Social events
New York Life Direct’s Actuarial Program:
The Actuaries at New York Life Direct are actively involved in many aspects of the Company’s operations including the design and pricing of products, the evaluation of the Company’s financial results, and setting the strategic vision of the company. With 10 Fellows of the Society of Actuaries and approximately 12 actuarial trainees in the Tampa Office, Actuaries at New York Life Direct make a difference.
We provide our Actuarial trainees with a broad background in both the theoretical and practical applications of actuarial science by combining challenging rotating job assignments and support towards the completion of the actuarial exams. We also provide significant opportunities to improve business and leadership skills that will enable advancement throughout the company and prove valuable throughout one’s career.
Intern’s responsibilities may include assisting with:
- Maintaining and validating actuarial model
- Completing Statutory, Tax and GAAP valuation requirements
- Developing premiums and benefits for new insurance
- Designing new products and product features
- Projecting profitability generated by Company’s products
- Preparing studies of financial experience
- Performing actuarial research and statistical analysis
- Performing special projects as assigned
At the conclusion of the program, each intern will make a presentation on the project that he or she was involved in during the internship.
- Passing of one or more Society of Actuaries exams (working toward ASA/FSA designation in the Society of Actuaries)
- Attained or working towards a Bachelor’s degree with an accredited college or university (preferred majors in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Sciences, Economics, or Finance)
- Graduating on or before May 2021
- Cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher ; Preferred Major GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Strong written and oral communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Prefer knowledge of modeling packages, programming languages, and spreadsheet/database software