New Sector Alliance works across sectors to help established and emerging leaders tackle pressing challenges and advance their careers. Our mission is to accelerate social change by strengthening organizations and developing leaders. Through intensive fellowships, New Sector prepares highly talented young professionals for rewarding, mission-driven careers that change lives, organizations, and the world.
The Summer Fellowship program is an immersive 10-week program for undergraduate students and recent graduates. Fellows are selected from a highly competitive pool and matched with a Chicago area non-profit or social impact organization. Fellows work full-time, completing capacity-building projects that allow organizations to more effectively achieve their missions. Host site projects are designed to create, improve, or expand services and may focus on community outreach, program coordination, communications and marketing, data analysis, fundraising, or volunteer services among others. During the 10-week Fellowship, Summer Fellows also participate in New Sector’s training and mentoring program.
We also accept applications from graduate students (Senior Summer Fellows) who already have an internship and would like to participate in our Social Impact Leadership training sessions and mentorship.
All 2021 Summer Fellowship positions will be remote work positions and all training sessions will be conducted virtually. You will not need to relocate to Chicago, however if you are already located in Chicago, you can indicate on your application if you would be open to in-office or hybrid in-office/remote work if available. This is not a requirement for consideration.
2021 Chicago Summer Fellowship Features:
- Full-time capacity-building work at a Chicago area non-profit or social impact organization
- Stipend of $3,000 (Senior Summer Fellows do not receive a stipend)
- Professional development workshops covering topics including career development and management, sector knowledge building (e.g. Boards and Governance, Theory of Change, etc.) communication and leadership skills, functional skills development (e.g. finance, fundraising, marketing, etc.), and guest speakers.
- One-on-one mentorship – Each Fellow is matched with a volunteer mentor who is a professional in the Chicago non-profit/social impact sector, who can offer support including project-specific advice, skills development, and career planning.
June 14, 2021 – August 20, 2021
Training Dates (10am-3:30pm CST):
Thursday, June 10
Thursday, June 24
Thursday, July 9
Thursday, July 22
Thursday, August 5
Thursday, August 19
Summer Fellow Qualifications:
- Ideal applicants are undergraduate rising juniors, seniors or recent graduates
- Must be available to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the entire 10-week Fellowship period
- Veterans and student veterans are encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated commitment to making an impact in a mission-driven career
- High level of self-motivation and academic, extracurricular, professional, and/or personal accomplishment
- Core leadership attributes, including: resourcefulness, responsibility, independence, patience, integrity, energy, and strong work ethic
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the capacity to build strong host site relationships and work effectively individually and as part of a team
- Ability to approach challenges in a structured manner by setting goals, devising a plan to achieve those goals, and meeting those goals in a timely manner.
Senior Summer Fellow Qualifications:
- Ideal applicants have a minimum of two years of post-undergraduate work experience and are completing or have recently completed a graduate degree.
- Have accepted a paid or unpaid internship through their school or other internship program.
- Must receive their internship organization’s approval to attend the virtual training sessions on the above dates and times.
Apply through New Sector’s application portal at: http://www.tfaforms.com/345303.
Candidates will be asked to provide a resume and short writing sample. Questions about the application process can be sent to Janelle Romero at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.